Friday, June 1, 2012

Beavers lose

There was another bicycle fatality here last evening at about 10pm. Wireless alerted me to it when she saw it reported on the intertubes as she thought it might be in a spot where I frequently ride. Indeed the accident occurred just east of the intersection of Hodgson and Highway 96 in the east bound lane of 96. I ride through that intersection all the time, it is part of the Vadnais route although for me I am usually east bound on 96 but then turn south on Hodgson. Still I wanted to go out and take a look. I just feel that if I can look at where these things happen and understand how it happened it will make me more safe. So I rode out to Lake Vadnais again today.

This led me back through the Snail Lake regional swamp, er, park. I pictured this beaver dam once before.
Today I discovered that the beavers have lost. The water utility had heavy machinery, a couple of trucks and four men out there. I chatted with the fellow leaning on the shovel.  We agreed that beavers are pests and that at the stage in the process that they had reached he had a wonderful day on which to watch water flow.

There's still plenty of water to flow, by the way.  He pointed out that the water directly in front of where he is standing is still about four feet deep.  And we also both recognized that the beavers will not give up easily.  He thought that a trapper had been arranged for.

Even that process could be problematic as it seems likely that there is an entire colony of beavers out there.  This could take a while.

Today's daily photo blog monthly theme day is tranquility.  Here is a spot on the north end of Sucker Lake where the creek flows into the lake.
Park bench for added tranquility.

And because I was there and because I don't like any trip out there to go undocumented, here is Lake Vadnais on June 1.
Summer is making a comeback as temperatures were at or very close to 70 allowing me to remove a complete layer of gear including off my legs.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

Those beavers are very hard to discourage and there seem to be a lot of them in the Twin Cities wild areas. It's actually nice to see. It may mean that the environment is reasonably clean and livable for a clan of beavers.

Santini said...

Very fitting scene for theme day. The white heron shot is still my favorite photo of the week, but I do like the park bench pic.