Friday, June 8, 2012

So when does France play?

I have watched lots of the doings from Roland Garros the past nearly two weeks. My favorite moments are always whenever the coverage pauses briefly at Court 2 (fellow travelers will know what I mean and why). I have greatly enjoyed the coverage on the Tennis Channel and have also found the ESPN2 coverage to be completely adequate. With the arrival of the semi-finals and an expected spike in viewership the matches have moved to NBC, the network of the Olympics. Well . . .

Here's what to expect from coverage from London this summer. I know about the, for me, 7 hour time difference. So I know that I have to watch in the morning. Today there was no coverage on either the Tennis Channel or ESPN. I checked on line and discovered that there was a rain delay. OK.

At 11am the event came on NBC. The NBC coverage featured a bug in the corner identifying that this was live coverage. By live, of course, the network of the Olympics means "plausibly" live. The NBC coverage picked up at 2-2 in the first set. I knew from the earlier on-line check that the rain delay had come at 4-3 of the SECOND SET. So it was live only if you were a big enough idiot to believe those bloodsuckers at NBC.

Shameful.

Disgusting.

I clicked over to ESPN again and tuned in the opening ceremonies and the first game of Euro 2012. Actually live from Warsaw.

See the deal is that football fans actually care about the game and would not under any circumstances tolerate a delayed broadcast masquerading as "live".

Shameful, disgusting, oh, never mind.

Poland 1:1 10 man Greece
Russia 4:1 Czech Republic

France is in Group D and will open the tournament against England in the early game on Monday.

Yikes!! The English!!

There was precipitation about in the radar view of the immediate area so I headed out thinking I might be just riding around. But actually the sun came out a few times and mostly it was pretty nice, if a trifle warm. I ended up, quite by accident, riding over to the Stone Arch Bridge. The video today involves NO rock and roll but it is quite musical, I think.

The Falls of Saint Anthony:

The falls provide additional evidence of the very wet spring as an enormous amount of water is still pouring over the concrete apron.

There are probably some lessons there somewhere for the beavers.
I placed the camera on the railing of the bridge to take the video. That's why the picture remains so steady throughout. I didn't notice until later that a secondary result was that I included part of the railing in the video.

I am not offended, particularly, this is pretty insignificant compared to my usual level of user error. But I also have the photograph and except for the charming roar of the water available in the video, the photo is probably a slightly better reflection of today on the Stone Arch Bridge.

Closed circuit to travelers: The Empire Builder crossed that span back when it was still a railroad bridge.

3 comments:

Jimi said...

The bloodsuckers at NBC hoodwinked me. There must be a law somewhere against that kind of swindle. Maybe we need a constitutional amendment.

Santini said...

Your video skills are progressing nicely.

TOPWLH said...

I believe my father returned to my mother from WWII on a train that crossed the Stone Arch Bridge. I know she picked him up at the train depot on Washington Ave. Or maybe she dropped him off there. In any case, he rode a train across that span. Very melodic video. I was there last Friday and the lock and dam was closed because of the amount of water crashing over the apron. Very cool.