Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mad dogs

That Tour de France thing looks like it will be a fun watch again. It took only until about the 20th minute of coverage for Phil to say something completely inane followed immediately by Paul blurting out almost exactly the same thing. These guys do not appear to be even slightly aware of what the other is saying.

Wiggins lived up to the hype, Radio Shack looks to be in full collapse mode and that Australian guy who won last year looks prepared to resume his role as plucky not quite good enough.

Vinokourov? Still? Really?

I managed to live through another ride today by once again heading out shortly after 9am. I stayed on my own side of the river today and rode down into the big city to the confluence overlook.
The river is quite high but what caught my attention today was Fort Snelling. The Fort is a project of the state historical society and the last time I visited they were going on at great length about the historically accurate reconstruction that the current fort represents. I guess maybe you can't really tell from this photo but the barracks building inside the fort over there looks for all the world to me like it has vinyl siding on it.

I lived through another ride but as I returned home I felt a bit physically ill, almost as if I had achieved the status of one of those two classes of beings that willingly go out in a mid day sun of the sort we are experiencing here daily. And I don't mean I became an Englishman.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I gotta say it looks like vinyl siding to me, too.

You certainly called the prolog in your post yesterday.

We're getting quite a bit of relief from the lake here, as long as I don't venture too far inland. The evening news tonight mentioned that people don't understand the effect that heat has on the body. Especially those over 50.

Santini said...

If you leave a half hour earlier, you'll get home a half hour earlier. The sun has started its retreat, so this won't last. We need to complain about it while we can.