Monday, March 5, 2012

Hiccup, hiccup, . . . croak

First off, just a note to those attempting to comment:

I enabled comment moderation in the first place because I was receiving robot SPAM comments including comments which included links to probable viruses and probable other unsavory things. I discovered that I could edit and remove comments from anything posted in the previous seven days but for posts older than that I had to jump through a bunch of time consuming hoops to get the stuff removed. I elected moderation. I choose to continue comment moderation. I have moderation set so that any comment on a post more than seven days old has to be approved by me before it appears on the blog (I think).

That's plenty OK during bicycling season because I am on the blog several times a week during that time. During the hiatus from bicycling (aka winter) I am often not on for several days in a row.

My apologies if you find this frustrating. Imagine my frustration at trying to get offensive comments removed and being largely unable to do so.

Anyway, I just moderated and approved like 6 comments, including a couple which displayed frustration at the moderation. It appears to me that the comments may have been on a post outside the moderation time limit. My apologies.

Part of the reason why I haven't been on the blog and why I haven't moderated the comments is that we were in Duluth.It was snowy in Duluth, 6 or 8 inches over Friday night and Saturday morning. We arrived mid afternoon Saturday and it still looked like this on Sunday morning.

Minnesota 2, UMD 0, Minnesota wins the WCHA Final Four tournament championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. As luck would have it when the championship winning goal was scored I was sitting next to the mother of the player who scored the goal. On my other side was TOPWLH and next to her were the two grandmothers of another member of the all-tournament team. We all had quite a bit of fun in that moment.

I also have been off line quite a bit lately because of a death in the family, the death of a long term family computer.

We all know that computer melt down can lead to an enormous hassle. This time the computer gave a couple of very distinct hiccups as a warning. When you press the on-off switch and nothing happens, only the most foolish would fail to notice that you have been given a warning. I reported to TOPWLH that the computer was dead, it would not start. She pressed the on-off switch and it started.

Well!!!!?!

I took that as an opportunity to get out my external hard drive and back up all of my files, most notably 9.5 gb of photos.

The computer started a couple of more times although it needed considerable prompting one of those times. When we got back from Duluth though, nothing, nothing at all.

So now I am up and running with something new, I have reached the point in the process where photos have been copied from the external hard drive back onto the new main machine. I still have some software to load and a couple of pieces of hardware to get back onto the network.

But I am running, I am good to go, back on line.

Let's go Gophers!!!!

5 comments:

Santini said...

I never know what to do with computers after their demise.

I read about all the snow in Duluth this weekend -- a Duluth blogger that I read. Lake effect, he called it. Which has a familiar ring to it.

Santini said...

That only took two tries.

Unknown said...

Condolences on your loss, Gino.

I've experienced no problems with moderation, so far.

TOPWLH said...

The scoring of the championship winning goal was a great moment (beautifully described)! The whole trip was the most fun I've ever had in Duluth (which is saying something as I like Duluth and have had lots of great times there).

Emily M said...

That's a lovely photo of the snow. And extremely Minnesotan of you, I might had. Sounds like a good time was had by all.