Sunday, March 11, 2012

DST notes

Yesterday I received notice via the interwebs that a member of my gene pool was out compiling mileage in Minnesota. She tweeted this notice.

I am working on building up my tech savvy so that I can retweet or something but for now I will just say I have a blog and I have all of my important files backed up on an external hard drive. It isn't much but that's going to do it for tech savvy for right now.

Yesterday was a swell day for Minnesota bicycling as a new all time high temperature record was set at 66F, eclipsing the old mark by 7 degrees.

Today was not quite as nice but it was still an exceptionally pleasant day. Bicycle season began.

Bicycle fitness is poor as one can imagine after more than 100 days of no bicycle riding. The first couple of miles it felt even worse than it actually was but eventually I remembered a bunch of stuff, like early season spinning in a low gear. Small ring, middle of the cassette, it started to be OK.

I next had to relearn that it is best to take some water with you when you go out for a bicycle ride. Here my lack of fitness worked in my favor as I was still near home, circling the nearby neighborhoods, when the lack of water dawned on me. I was able to swing by home without major inconvenience or dehydration.

Here's the proof, a photo taken farther from home than I commonly walk.There are some grasses around that parking lot that were planted by the P-ster but I don't think the ones visible in the photo are they. I believe that landscaping project was over on the far side of the lot.

The snowbank proves that we have had snow although we sure haven't had much. The main thing I learned today is that the streets are in relatively good condition. The lack of snow means that much less sand was put down than in more usual years. There were lots of places that are plenty rideable even before any street sweeping gets done. Mostly dry, not much chaff on the streets, if the temperatures hold there will be more bicycling soon.

Oh, one more tech savvy point. I have loaded WordPerfect Office X5 onto the new computer. WP X5 is a new WP configuration specifically designed to run in Windows7 (the OS which I am palping on the new main machine). My bike log is a QuattroPro file (here comes my additional tech savvy bit). I pulled out the flash drive where I have the bike log saved and loaded it onto the main machine (did I mention flash drive?). As we have come to expect with WP, the file loaded without delay or necessity of conversion and opened at first asking.

Blog, external hard drive, flash drive, I have a Twitter account even though I don't use it, I recently fixed TOPWLH's browser . . .

That's going to have to do for now.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Well, I don't know where the Ramsey County Library is, but I have no problem taking your word for it that it is farther than you usually walk. On your cyclocross bike, I see. A worthy steed for rides when snow banks still dot the landscape. This is how it begins. Bicycling specific fitness returns slowly for some of us, but I feel confident stating that it does return.

I saw your dafter's tweet -- she must link them to Facebook, since I rarely check my Twitter account.

Good on 'ya for biking, blogging and booting up.

Emily M said...

My tweets are indeed linked to Facebook. It's only a slightly higher level of tech-savviness.

We wondered if you were also out biking - glad you were able to get past the ice dam and enjoy the perfect day. I agree that the streets are not nearly as sandy as anticipated. Definitely a good thing.