Tuesday, March 27, 2012

LOOK at Sabo

Yesterday's temperatures had the audacity in this most unusual of weather cycles to rise only to about the average high for the date. Perhaps we should be alarmed (but we aren't really) by the realization that average felt too cold to ride.

Overnight a strong warm front passed through. It was for sure one of those fronts where the weather barometric pressure maps have lots of isobars jammed really close together. I know this is true because I have learned that lots of isobars jammed really close together means really strong winds.

It was windy.

It might have been the windiest ride ever (I know I say that every time) and this time I was out there trying to get some miles with a sketchy early season fitness level.

It was really, really hard.

I rode into Minneapolis for the first time this season. I was heading for something really Minneapolis iconic for today's photo.A couple of cables on that really pricy pedestrian/bicycle bridge in the background snapped earlier this year and the bridge is still closed for inspection and or repairs. The blog post title comes from the name of the bridge, the Martin Olav Sabo Bridge, named for the former long time Minneapolis area congressman who no doubt played a significant role in obtaining funding for the bridge. Minneapolis now has someone named Keith as its representative in Congress. Keith is probably a pretty good reflection of what the people of that district want in a congressman, but, come on, Martin Olav Sabo?

Behind the strong weather front, is, as often happens, some unsettled weather. You can just see it starting to happen in the bridge photo. I realized I was like 10 miles from home and they were starting to fog it in. It suddenly felt like rain.

The good thing is I had ridden into the teeth of a gale to get to that spot and when I started for home I discovered that despite my fatigue I was suddenly really strong.

Who doesn't love feeling really strong?

The sky got progressively darker and the air felt damper and damper as I neared home but then, in another upset, just as I got near enough for the horse to smell the hay in the barn the clouds parted again and the sun came out.

EG: NA
CB: 64
AOWG: 69

The circus is coming to town.Perhaps later this week there will be clown photos.

3 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

Clown sightings would be fun. VERY windy today--while walking around campus the scarf artistically draped around my neck nearly blew off.

Emily M said...

Clowns! My favorite circus memory is going with Yuko back in the day. Your name forever after was limited to "Emily's Dad." Ha!

Related: Did you know you need strength for Easy Cheese?

Santini said...

Sad photo of the pedestrian/bicycle bridge. What's the deal with bridges in Minneapolis?

Kudos for persevering in the face of a gale. It can be painful.