Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Backwards so far

It is pretty common for there to be weather complaints in the early part of the season. Yesterday it rained. That's a complaint, it isn't the usual March complaint. Today it didn't rain.

I commented last time about how relatively clean the streets already are. About a month ahead of schedule the streets are getting cleaner. I happened upon the City of Roseville sweeping crew today, out completing this annual task quite a large bit earlier in the year than they completed it last year.About three blocks later I crossed the municipal boundary into Arden Hills and came upon the City of Arden Hills sweeper. Same brand, identical in appearance except that Arden Hills paints their sweepers in a shade of tan.

I know I commented last year on first observance of sweepers and as a tech savvy blogger I probably should link to last year's post. I've got something going on on the stove upstairs so I am going to forego the link, maybe someone else can find it.

It must be apparent from the photo that it was a pretty nice day out there today. Here's another unusual bit though. In a reversal of usual form today I had to wear a jacket for the first time. Obviously early spring riding usually involves finding the right layers by gradual subtraction. Today it was addition.

And I later got a bit of a reminder of what to expect from March. Today I rode all the way out to the Shoreview water tower and discovered that the bit of Island Lake in front of the tower is still quite thoroughly iced over.Here's a bit of a spoiler to the whole story though, by the time I arrived at that point in the ride I had removed the jacket.

I was upwind of the lake for the photo. When I rode around to the downwind side it was definitely cool enough to wish for a jacket. But it is a small lake and I was quickly back into temperate climes.

Tomorrow's prediction is for another all time record high temperature, the consensus among the numerous resources that I check is for something in the 70s.

We're having some fun now, I tell ya.

1 comment:

Santini said...

You could use a little green vegetation, but otherwise it looks pretty nice. Wind from the north?