Monday, September 12, 2011

Southwest into the wind

One lesson that I learn usually every July is that riding every day when it is hot leads to accumulating fatigue. One lesson I have learned in this most unseasonable September is that the same fatigue accumulates even if the every day rides occur in what otherwise appears to be fall. It was very, very breezy this afternoon on a day when the high temperature approached 90. I arrived home feeling pretty fatigued.

I hadn't been all the way down into the city for quite some time. The construction project over there flattened my tire on one of my first attempts of the season to go there and I have been a bit overcautious ever since. But the strong southwest wind made for a fine day to go over to the Falls. I had not been there since May.That's quite a bit of water to be going over the Falls for this late in the season.

There appears to have been an erosion event over there on the west bank of the creek. The retaining wall has a gap, the slope looks disturbed and then there is all the debris down in the gorge.It was a pretty day at the Falls. The GRider has arrived home from her errands and informs me that she ate outdoors at the Falls today meaning that we were both there today although only one of us arrived there under human power.

That would be me.

The forecast high for tomorrow is about 20 degrees lower than today's high. The day after that it might get cold.

1 comment:

Santini said...

"Accumulating fatigue." Good one.

The falls are really pretty in that light. Nice photos.

Southwest wind. Yeah, here too. At least you can ride southwest. Once it shifts predominantly north, it'll be cold for months and months. Sigh.