Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Endings are beginning

I haven't really done extensive research. I am just going to rely on memory and impressions.

Last year the corn was allowed to turn completely brown before harvest. The harvest came very late in the season.They are doing something completely different over there this year. This year's harvest was of still quite green corn stalks. And it is almost over.
It was a nice day to ride around in Roseville. I made it to the north city limits, visiting Shoreview for a time. I made it to the south city limits, visiting both Saint Paul and Falcon Heights. In Falcon Heights I found that bicycles are again being admitted to the Fairgrounds. The ticket booth is still there but tickets are no longer for sale. The gates are open.
This is an interesting time to be on the Fairgrounds. There is lots of activity, lots of things to look at. Attendance this year was the third highest ever, we were part of it. When the crowd is assembled there is also plenty to look at. For me though, I find the tearing down part to be almost as interesting as the actual Fair. I am entertained by the flotsam and jetsam and the just plain debris left behind by the big event.
I was looking for this as I was not actually exactly sure where it was located. This is one of the two remaining church dining halls on the grounds, the Salem Lutheran Church.
Epiphany closed while trumpeting its achievement of 46 years of service. Salem has them outdone by a good margin.

There is a new blogger interface provided by the ever helpful people at google. This one not only auto corrects your spelling even when you meant to spell it that way, it also auto corrects your line spacing. I always thought I was smart enough to do that for myself.

I am disappointed and will be switching back to the old interface for as long as it is still available.

New twine.
75, sunny, light wind. OOTNDITHOD.

3 comments:

jilrubia said...

Ooh, Salem. Great Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes. I'm so sad I missed Heather at the fair! Couldn't have been more than 3 feet from her, but I said hello to Henk. btw...walleye cakes are really good with a Mike's hard black cherry beverage.

What is with the haunted house mailbox?

Santini said...

Egg coffee. A family tradition.

The story of the 17 tooth cog and the chain skip remains unresolved. Artistic expression? Or still no part?

Sounds like a very nice ride.

Santini said...

Does the timing of the harvesting change depending on what the corn will be used for? Silage vs. seed corn, I'm thinking.