Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another shoe drops

Here's the view out my front door at shortly past 7am (well after sunrise, as is probably pretty obvious from the photo).I rode my bicycle this afternoon and it was still cold. In fact, it was colder than yesterday as I can report 50F at the Cattle Barn at 1:15pm. 50F is one of those really nice round numbers as it corresponds exactly to 10C.

I don't know why I haven't thought of doing this before but today was my first occasion of multi-tasking while riding. The outside ATM at the financial institution that we use is well within the distance range of my usual rides so I went slightly off route today and did some banking.While I was getting my gloves off and otherwise preparing myself to do business a couple of other people arrived and used the ATM. I responded to their conversational gambits and as a result I had a nice conversation with one woman about what a nice day it was. I suppose I should point out that she WAS wearing a late fall weight jacket but with that bit of gear (and with the gear I was wearing) we were both experiencing a pretty nice day. The sun was out, it was a pretty day and neither one of us was feeling the cold. Her gear and my gear served to establish yet again that there is no bad weather, there is only inadequate gear.

And, then, well OK. I did a bit of Wikipedia reading and it seems that some of those Zombies that yesterday I proclaimed to be the same five guys only look like they might be aged versions of the original Zombies. The two main guys, the keyboard/vocalist and lead vocalist ARE actual original Zombies. The others are replacement undead. My apologies to any offended by my error.

And it really makes them not any different at all from Pete and Roger who still tour as the The Who but are really just Pete and Roger playing the music of The Who with Ringo's kid and, oh, like about 17 other musicians filling in the parts previously filled in by John and Keith. Or not any different from Keith and Mick who really have played in at least three completely different bands all of which are called the Rolling Stones. Brian Jones/Mick Taylor/Ron Wood issues aside, can it really be the Rolling Stones if Bill Wyman isn't there any more?

And so, the Zombies tribute band plays OK and I still like the tunes (especially the old versions).

On a side note I saw Charlie Watts drumming on an Eric Clapton/Jimmy Page/Jeff Beck YouTube video that I looked at recently.

Guitar players and others who pay close attention may note that even though it is clearly mostly Eric that Clapton, Page and Beck each, at least ever so briefly, play a guitar solo. It is the 1983 Royal Albert Hall ARMS Charity Concert and is the first time that the three iconic former Yardbirds lead guitarists performed together.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Frost????

Mrs. Smith said...

Multi-tasking! Excellent rock and roll! I enjoyed these last couple posts very much.