Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First time cold

It has been coolish a few times since winter left (including at least a couple of the days in Paris) but today was the first time cold. It was 51F at 1:22pm at the Cattle Barn. It felt cold.

Gear changes included full finger gloves although just the very light cotton gloves that I usually use as a liner in the winter time. I also went with the long sleeve jersey instead of short sleeves and arm warmers. There just wasn't any way I was ever going to remove my jacket much less push down the arm warmers so long sleeves it was. But again it was just the light weight long sleeve jersey. I also went with leg warmers instead of full tights. The difference is that the leg warmers give you one less layer over the naughty bits. It wasn't so cold today that full on extreme measures were called for. It was just cold.

And 51 isn't REALLY cold after all, is it? It certainly will get much colder later and I will ride on lots of colder days. Today was only the first dose and not the time to break out maximum protection, just time to look in that drawer dedicated to winter gear and find a few of the things I am going to need.

One of the nice bits about the first cold, about the first of every abrupt and distinct change of weather for the worse is that it sharply reduces the number of people who still think it is bicycling season. I rode for a bit over two hours and saw ONE OTHER bicyclist and that person I spotted with less than a quarter of mile left in my ride. It feels like a private ride when no one else is riding.

And where was everyone? It was an extremely pretty day out there.Isn't the sky blue?

Note that unlike TOPWLH I shan't refer to this as a beautiful day. Beautiful is reserved for days as pretty as today when the temperatures are in the range of balmy. But pretty it was as I am sure she will agree.

Frost warning for tonight and probably not any warmer tomorrow. Average September temperatures (upper 60s, maybe 70) will return by the weekend.

I was up too late the other night and caught the Zombies on Jimmy Fallon.

I also recommend She's Not There from 1965. Unbelievably enough, same guys.

Not enough? For total Zombie immersion you might want to also try Tell Her No from 1964. And still the same five guys.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I'm having internet connection issues. I've tried to leave a comment before and failed. Something about 51 degrees being tights weather, and our blue sky being obscured by smoke from the fires in the boundary waters. It was a great comment, too. Sorry.

Jimi said...

Good tunes. I haven't heard them in a very long time, but it's nice to know that even a musical group can stay together for 45 years or more. Much longer than a lot of marriages.