Sunday, October 19, 2008

Back to basics

Today I post the next to last of the big end of year statistical milestones.

Since I tweaked my back I have been riding loops relatively close to home and avoiding the big climbs that are out there near the turn around points of a couple of my most common routes. But my rides of late have convinced me that I can return to the basic rides.

Today was gorgeous again, and warm to boot. It warmed into the 60s shortly past noon. The wind was pretty much straight out of the west and pretty light. I headed north towards precincts not seen for over a month.

The big statistical milestone came just after the turnaround. I recall that last year's biggest event, LOOK 10,000, occurred at the top of the road down into Lake Vadnais. Today I got all the way down to the Lake before the odometer made its final change. It seems appropriate that lots of these things happen at Vadnais. It is a beautiful spot and one I seek out whenever I can. Here it is: LOOK at Vadnais, LOOK at 14,000.This is an extremely important moment for triskaidekaphobiacs, of which I am apparently one. I started the year with just under 11,000 miles on that bike. When considering my yearly goals I had to consider that if I set out to ride 4,000 miles again it would mean 3 or so thousand miles on the LOOK. Anything less than 3,124 would leave me with a bicycle and a bicycle log which over the coming winter would feature a mileage total beginning with those two digits which I scrupulously avoid: 1 and 3. I set out for 4,000 anyway and today I reached safety.

I am a little disappointed. I did such a good job of getting BB3k's (and yes, I have changed the spelling of the abbreviation of her new moniker) odometer in focus yesterday. I thought I had conclusively answered this particular question. But no, I still seem to be able to photograph my own odometer only slightly out of focus. At least the pebbles on the ground are in sharp focus. *sigh*This mileage total is also an important milestone as it moves me into a formidable and completely comfortable 11,000 mile lead over BB3k in the category of miles ridden on the bicycle on which you have the most miles ridden lifetime (MROTBOWYHTMMRL, if you will). I feel safe, I feel strong.

I rode another mile and had to stop again. It was time for my annual picture of swans at Vadnais.Last year's photo was taken on a day when it was raw and windy. The swans were cruising about a fair distance from shore and seemed about as uncomfortable as the human. Today the swans were up next to the shore, feeding. Also visible in the picture are Canadian geese and mallard ducks. I stayed awhile and soaked up the good vibrations, it was very cool.

And then I stopped again about a mile later. The road construction project which has been a subject of wonder all year is now completed. The road up from the lake now leads off to the right over a new bridge structure. The old road went straight up the hill and is still visible on the left.The new route makes the hill a much more gradual climb. But the truth is that no matter which route you take you have to end up at that stoplight visible at the top of the old climb. It is also just a tiny bit of a shame that the old route is no longer available. That climb had become one of BB3k's favorites. It was the first really difficult hill that she figured out and conquered. She approached that hill not with trepidation but with relish. By the by, just want to throw this out there, BB3k is the REAL Queen of the Mountains.

Closed circuit to Wireless: Julie and Laura's parents have an Obama-Biden sign in their yard. Surprised?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Newsy post. I think it was very important to put the number 14 up there before the end of the year. I share your aversion to that combination of digits. Some really nice photos on today's posts. Vadnais is a great spot, and I'm glad you healed enough to get back to it before the season ended.

Emily M said...

That sign in that particular yard is quite surprising... Huh. People can surprise you from time to time.

Congrats on the mileage milestone. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that several of our neighbors have that sign in their yards!
BB

Anonymous said...

The infamous (and appreciated as well as surprising) Obama sign was due to youngest youth Michelle albeit proudly supported by Mom!

biking neighbor