Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tall dunes calling my name

GFR and I had a nice midday ride which seemed devoid of photo opportunities. After the BB prepared dinner I set out looking for a picture. Shortly after the recycling began I could hear tall dunes calling my name.

Two years ago I fell off my bicycle when I encountered a rogue traffic gate on the flat spot halfway up Spyglass. Last year I didn't feel climbing strong and made no attempts at either of the two big nearby dunes. This year I have trained all year with an objective, a goal. As a result I have ridden differently. It remains to be seen whether I will reach the goal but I did arrive at August feeling much stronger than at this time last year.

Tonight's ride was short but eventful. I went Spyglass, State Park, Sunset Bluff. Here is a view from the top of Spyglass.I climbed to the top and then rode down to the interior bottom level, climbed back out of there and then back down the dune to Lakeshore.

I detoured to the State Park and then swung back through the neighborhoods to get to the starting place for Sunset Bluff. To get the complete climb you have to start from across Lakeshore, down in that neighborhood at the bottom of the hill. This is a view back down the dune from the cul-de-sac at the top.After arriving back on the mountain we waited in vain for a sunset photo. There was nice structure, good clouds, but the sun went behind the clouds about 20 minutes before sundown and declined to reappear for a curtain call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice ride, nice photos, nice story.