Monday, August 25, 2008

An almost perfect evening for a ride

But on to more interesting topics.

TOPWLH reports that she had a class where the standard round of self introductions included a person who thought he must be unique because he had an orange in his office at work that he had dried and that he had kept for 5 or so years.

She informed him that she knew of another such person. That other person is me. As for me, I have never felt quite that unique as where I work I am not even the only person who has a dried orange. There is at least one other.

But I am the champion of dried fruit. In fact, I actually have two such dried oranges, the oldest of which is more than 20 years old. That one is upstairs in my house as I type. I keep the newer one at work. Here is the top of my bookcase where I have what I occasionally refer to as "pretty much the whole citrus family".Left to right: grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime. Foreground: tangerine.

That is pretty much the way that bookcase looks each and every day. The only adjustment I made for the photo was to slightly turn the Halloween 3 Musketeers bar with the nail through it ever so slightly so that the label could be more easily read. Halloween candy with a nail through it.

Barely visible behind the tangerine is a piece of candy corn.

Between the lemon and the lime is a clove of garlic. No big deal, who hasn't forgotten about garlic in the cupboard and ended up with dried garlic.

Also visible is a carrot which is interesting because it was before drying an albino carrot, white in a bed of regular orange carrots. It morphed to pretty much orange as it dried.

However, the piece de resistance, the crown jewel of my collection, is right foreground. I defy pretty much any office fruit dryer to produce one of those. It looks vaguely like some sort of voodoo charm and maybe it is. What it used to be is a banana.

Yup, a banana.

Some of the items also visible include a Fender guitar pick, amethyst, several core samples, some other interesting rocks, part of the last run of taconite pellets from the bankrupt and now defunct LTV Steel Mining Company plant at Hoyt Lakes, a model of the Space Needle in Seattle, purchased at the top of the Needle, and at least a couple of the DNR Workplace Behaviors.

When it comes to odd stuff kept in one's workspace, I bow to no one.

No one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you just recently move into a new office? And you moved all that stuff with you? Odd. Nice amethyst, though.

Anonymous said...

Amethyst, smamaethyst (lots of people have pretty rocks). Nice dried fruit collection! Wow, I am sharing this with my office mate with the puny one orange.
Great, very odd collection of stuff.
BB
PS No offense, gfr.

Emily M said...

That banana is truly, deeply odd. And I thought the orange (and ketchup?) at home were strange enough.

Anonymous said...

None taken. I prefer rocks to weirdly desicated fruitish lumps, myself. No offense.

Anonymous said...

None taken, gfr. Your response made me LOL. And, Emily, I forgot about the tiny ketchup bottle and don't forget the empty Wheaties box in the downstairs closet.
BB

Emily M said...

I was distracted by the banana before but - Halloween candy with a nail through it? Why?

...

Not that I'm really expecting an answer.