Saturday, August 2, 2008

Long ride

For today's Zeppelin background tune, right click and open in a new tab.

I open my front door and I hear my back door slam.

Purists will note that it is not actually Led Zeppelin, just the lead singer and lead guitarist with a rather large string section. I believe they referred to themselves as Page and Plant during the time when they were doing performances of this sort.

I extended what is already a 30 mile ride by crossing the Mississippi and the Minnesota Rivers at Fort Snelling. I rode down to the Dakota County Park just below Pilots Knob. The park overlooks the Minnesota River valley.Airport to the right, Mall of America behind those building visible left center of picture.

I realized that I don't get to Dakota County very often. I ride mostly in Ramsey County, quite often in Hennepin, once in a while in Anoka, once in a while in Washington, quite a bit once a year in Ottawa, but pretty rarely in Dakota.

On the way home I also realized that I just don't get to the actual Fort at Fort Snelling very often. I rode over to the historical fort. There are several buildings of historical significance from the time when the Fort was a military installation.

The most famous of those historic buildings are what is called "Officers' Row". This is one of the other buildings, I believe these are barracks.On the way back across the Mississippi I came upon this on the stairway down from the fort to the pedestrian way.This is a bit obscure perhaps, but I am able to say with certainty that when the concrete was still a bit soft that someone carried a bike up these steps while wearing bike shoes with Speedplay cleats. The shape is unmistakable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On our ride to Saugatuck, we spent a few miles in Allegan County, just for the record.

Nice looong ride.