Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blue state

I have plenty more pieces of memorabilia to share, some of which I personally think are pretty cool. But today I rode my bicycle.

Minnesota has an earned reputation as a "blue" state. On my ride today I passed campaign signs for both candidates for a U.S. Senate seat representing Minnesota. I think the images double reinforce Minnesota's blue state reputation.

I post them not in order of personal preference but in order that I rode past them. I make this statement because even though I personally find both candidates to be completely unqualified to hold the office for which they campaign, I still do have a preference. But this is the order in which I rode past their signs.

The signs are within a block of each other, both along Snelling in Falcon Heights, both well placed to attract the attention of State Fair traffic, both the maximum yard sign size, 4 feet by 6 feet. The first sign is better placed to draw attention of drivers approaching the Fair. Franken for Senate.The second is better placed to draw the attention of drivers leaving the Fair. Coleman for Senate.The double reinforcement of "blue" state is as follows: First, both signs are blue. Even the presumed "red" candidate chooses blue as his campaign sign color.

Second: Franken identifies himself as a Democrat, as blue. Coleman declines to mention his party, perhaps hoping that some voters will identify him by his color as the Democrat he used to be.

In Minnesota, the safest color to be is blue.

It was a sleeveless jersey night ride. There aren't going to be many more of those. I had the best legs I have had since getting home from Michigan. I felt pretty good.

No comments: