Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Lack of credentials as architecture critic laid bare

It was hot and humid again today, another day of strong winds from the south. I headed out into it, riding past the fair grounds, this time remembering to alter my route to NOT ride through the bushel of broken glass on Como, and eventually on over to the river. Apparently the hot weather supersedes the previous memo on the season being over as there were a bunch of racer boys out tonight. Those boys sure make me nervous.

On the way home I got this picture of my favorite house in Desnoyer Park.As you can see, fabulous location, distinctive looking house, from that hillside lot it may well be possible in the fall with the leaves off the trees to see down into the river gorge. It is a really nice spot, I was sure it must be in my Twin Cities Architecture Guide.

While standing there halfway up the hill to get this picture I briefly considered also photographing the house across the intersection to the left from this one. It was pretty interesting looking but I decided to stick to the one I like.

Guess which one is in the book.

But I redeemed myself by enhancing my credentials as a finder of public art. Here is the sculpture at Como Park that we have not been previously able to find, the one at Hamline and Midway Parkway.It is quite an interesting piece, a close up examination reveals lots of detail, faces finding their way out of the rock features. It is striking.

The reason why we couldn't find this before is that it wasn't there before. It is right out in the open at the corner, an intersection I ride through nearly every time I head south. If it had been there previously it would not have been possible for me to not have seen it. So it is newly installed, no longer missing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job on finding the Minnesota Rocks sculpture at Como Park. I have been back there several times looking for it and had pretty much given up. I recognize the spot, too. I've been there on my fruitless search. TT

Anonymous said...

Nice find, nice photo, nice rock. And a nice house as well. Too bad about the architecture call. SS