Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First day of fall

It was easy to tell that it was fall when I got home from work. It was only 92 with a dew point of 60. To top it off there was a brutal wind out of the southwest. It felt important to ride in conditions like that in July but it didn't seem as important today. But I went, albeit for a somewhat abbreviated ride.

I rode past the corn field and discovered that harvest has begun. I actually saw the harvester but as I manuevered to try to get a photo the grain wagon bin filled and the tractor pulled off and headed back towards campus.I did get a picture of the field. It looks like bad corn. You expect a lot of dust with a corn harvester as with any kind of grain harvest. But you expect it to be greenish, bits of corn plant blown into the air by the cutting and chopping. This dust was grey looking like pieces of dirt. It didn't look right to me, I think it is bad corn.

I continued on the ride past the fair grounds. I commend the clean up crew for already having run a sweeper down the streets surrounding the grounds. However when you get to the bottom of the hill past Raymond across from Saint Anthony Park Elementary school you come to evidence of several rear end collisions. There is still about a bushel of glass shards completely covering the street all the way out into the traffic lane. Somebody remind me to find a new route.

The wind was brutal, as hard as any I have ridden into this year. It was an abbreviated ride so I turned back before I was completely, totally knackered. I was then pleased to discover that I felt very strong on the ride home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No tailwind? Just felt really strong? Hmmm, where have I read that, just recently.... It seems like an early harvest for the corn, but it is quite clearly very dry and brown. Not a good summer for corn without an irrigation system, I guess. SS

Anonymous said...

One more brutal day to go, the weather guys say, and then some decent fall cooling.

The nutmeg is pretty good. TT