Thursday, September 6, 2007

End of a series

It was hot again today and very windy. I pretty much convinced myself that it was too windy. I obviously don't reach that conclusion easily but as I say it was very windy. I got home from work and actually sat down and watched some tennis. The mixed doubles final was on USA and I got interested. Doubles is a version of tennis played more often by older folks and this was the particular version of doubles that I am most familiar with, the version where one member of the partnership is noticeably better than the other player.

And what great doubles players these two guys are! Leander Paes on one side, incredibly quick hands, extremely intelligent player, always in the right spot. And on the other Max Mirnyi, tall, huge serve, quick for his size, also an extremely intelligent player. It was great fun to watch. Mirnyi, who is from Belarus, and his partner, 18 year old fellow Belarussian Victoria Azarenka, rallied from 1-6 in the tiebreaker to win the tiebreak and the set, and the match and the championship.

So about that time I started to think maybe I should ride a few miles. The wind had died down a bit but stormy weather looked imminent. I decided to try it but to stay close to home. This is the first thing I came to.So the harvest is obviously complete, the corn series is over.

It was windier than I thought but I got in some nice miles and I got home just as the weather turned really threatening. Surprisingly enough, as I type this it still hasn't rained but even so, I am glad I came in when I did. It would have been tempting fate to have stayed out with the sky looking like it did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a month or so you'll be glad you rode those miles, I think. Nice finality to the series. Overall, a pretty good series, with some help from MFS (Model For Scale.)

Jimi said...

I saw that mixed doubles match, too. I was restringing a racket at the time. That tiebreaker was a great comeback.

Venus v. Justine this afternoon. TT