Saturday, September 15, 2007

Back from the brink of winter

I laid in bed for a bit after awakening at more or less the usual time this morning. Then my health maintenance routines on Saturday morning take a bit longer than on weekdays so it was 6:45 before I opened the door to pick up the morning newspapers. Here is what I found:It is a bit early for frost but not so early that anyone should be astonished or anything like that. Frost in September is completely expectable even if somewhat unwelcome.

But the cold seems to have passed and the sun did good work today. The BB and I waited until almost 2pm for it to be warm enough to ride and by that time it was nearly 60. It warmed a bit more while we rode and ended up being plenty warm enough for a very nice ride on a beautiful fall day.

We ended up at the Bell Tower. That's Old Main and the new Library in the background.The Bell Tower was built with donations provided by the classes of 1927 and 1928, at least that's what the plaque just partially visible on the wall to my left as I took the photograph says. So it is old enough to have had traditions associated with it even before BB and GZ arrived on campus. Before we left we reenacted the ancient ritual under the tower and got the expected results.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Readers of gzmooho, if you are interested in finding out about the ancient ritual under the bell tower, please let me know at my Xanga site. I actually updated it today (my summer entry) and comments might encourage me to try harder.
It was a beautiful ride today but I may need to go shopping since I did not have the exact right outfit (I was for much of the time not quite warm enough). Maybe Santini can be my fashion consultant.
BB

Santini said...

That's a frosty start to the day. I bet if you set a root beer mug out in that, it would be just about right for some A&W. The Mac campus is looking lovely this time of year. SS