Friday, July 20, 2007

Unicycle guy

Boy, I tell you, today was nice.

I rode over to the river and for a change had a very pleasant experience over there. At the river every single male rider is racing and it usually gets a little old. But apparently I was there at the right time today as there were not many of them about and I was free to just ride along without having to be constantly alert for yet another one of those posers overtaking without a word. I know, I understand that they are only mirroring racing etiquette. But I just wonder where the hell they get the confidence that I am going to hold a straight line which allows them to come within a few inches of my handlebars. Because I tell you, I do not hold a straight line. I am not racing, I am taking care of my bike. Which means I ride around potholes, not through, around road debris, not over. I am not holding a straight line. End of rant. What I really mean to say is, boy, I tell you, today was nice.

I saw a guy riding a unicycle. I tried to ride fast to get far enough ahead of him so that I could get a picture but was unsuccessful. I got ahead but he motored past well before I could prepare for a photo. So I got back on and followed and eventually caught and passed him in the hills. Hills are a problem both going up and going down for a unicycle. Obviously you cannot coast downhill, you have to keep pedalling. I actually passed him on the downhill. Downhill looks harder. Anyway, by then it was time for me to turn off and approach the giant climb out of the river gorge so I had to abandon the photo opportunity. Take my word for it, there was a guy on a unicycle riding at the river today.

The boys on the Tour greatly disappointed me today. Rasmussen is suspended by his national federation and Paul, Phil, and Bob all lined up behind the rider. Eventually even Al, the reporter of the group, joined in the federation bashing. They claim cycling politics, that the Danish federation as part of the UCI is only trying to wrest control of the sport from the old guard, the grand tour organizers.

Lame.

Really lame.

The only thing suspicious here is that a rider claiming the advantages of being clean cannot organize his life as required by the rules of the federation which rewards him for being clean. It is just plain bullshit to say anything else. He knew the rules, he dodged the tests. Dirty.

Boy, I tell you, today was nice. It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood and after missing out on the unicycle I hoped to find the Babe at home as this was my next preferred photo of the day, something from our backyard.It may look casual but it is actually very carefully posed.

FC Nantes has completed playing friendlies in anticipation of the Ligue 2 season opener on July 27. They drew and lost against Ligue 1 opponents, defeated a team from the Championnat National, also known as Division 3, and today dropped their only outing against a fellow Ligue 2 participant. Not a particularly auspicious pre-season but they were after all only friendlies. Allez Nantes, the season begins next week against Reims.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That whole Rasmussen thing ... I agree whole heartedly.

I hear it was really nice where you are today. Same thing here. Not many days nicer than this. A little less wind would be nice.

There's a deck here that looks empty without her. SS