Sunday, July 1, 2007

Pilot Knob

First off, and to get this out of the way, here is something red. That would be me.It was a bit too cool this morning so I waited until after lunch to ride. It was mostly pretty nice but those middle of the day rides are very taxing. The sun high in the sky makes demands that it doesn't make after 6pm.

I get across the Mississippi with some regularity but I had not been across the Minnesota River previously this year. I set off with that as a goal.

This picture was taken after crossing the first river but before crossing the second. This is Fort Snelling from the bluff side. It has appeared a couple of times previously from across the river. Fort Snelling features historical reenactment. The flag is a 24 star flag which would have been the number of states (and the number of stars on the flag) from the time they are reenacting. The fort was finished in 1825, Missouri was admitted as the 24th state in 1821, Arkansas was admitted as the 25th state in 1836, so I am thinking they are reenacting 1825.The fort appears in this photo because of the red stripes on the flag.

This is the turn around point, the Pilot Knob scenic overlook on the Minnesota River. That is the airport across the river. The river bottom here is all state park so undeveloped. Probably not visible but still present is the red tail on the Northwest flight taking off in the upper right of the photo.So, enough red already.

The Tour de France begins Saturday with a prologue in London. What should be rising anticipation for cycling's greatest event is instead uncertainty and more bad publicity. Giro winner Danilo Di Luca has been summoned by Italian anti-doping authorities to explain his links to doping activities dating to 2004. Third place finisher Eddy Mazzoleni has also been summoned by the same authorities. Presumed Tour de France favorite Alexandre Vinokourov has admitted to association with the most notorious doping doctor, also in 2004, although he claims he only used the doctor for massage therapy, not for medical purposes. And America's leading sports weekly has published an examination of the recent problems. The story includes and shines new light on doping allegations concerning Lance Armstrong that the magazine says have "removed the last vestiges of the sport's credibility."

The critical evidence is sworn testimony provided by Betsy Andreu, wife of former rider and current TV commentator, Frankie Andreu. Frankie has confirmed his wife's account.

The magazine reports her testimony as follows:

"On Oct. 25, 1996, doctors opened Armstrong's skull to cut two cancerous lesions off his brain. Two days later the 25-year-old cyclist was in a conference room at the Indiana University Hospital. His Motorola teammate Frankie Andreu and Andreu's fiancée, Betsy Kramar, were among some half dozen of the Texan's friends in the room. When two doctors entered, Betsy's inclination was to give Armstrong his privacy, but, she testified at the SCA hearing, he bade her to stay.

One of the doctors, Betsy recalled in her testimony, asked Armstrong, "Have you ever used any performance-enhancing drugs?" Recalling the scene for SI, Betsy says that Armstrong was seated, gazing downward and holding his IV stand with his left hand, as he ticked off five drugs: EPO, growth hormone, cortisone, steroids, testosterone. Frankie Andreu, who married Betsy in December 1996, backed up her testimony."

The magazine asks, "Are they all dirty? Does it matter? Should we care?" It is starting to be hard to be a fan of the race.

4 comments:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

Santini said...

Well, the above is why some people don't allow open commenting, I guess.

Some nice photos -- interesting that we agree that mid day rides are more taxing that early mornings or evenings. I suppose it is the sun -- I was thinking that it was that it is almost always windier by afternoon. Maybe both.

Nice red in the photos. It sounds like a pretty long ride in the midday sun. Is Lance dirty? I'll never know for sure -- I wasn't there, so it is taking somebody's word for it. I am inclined to give him a pass because he provided such great entertainment over the course of those races. And he's doing pretty good stuff with his Foundation -- but I watched little of the Giro. I may watch some of the tour, but I won't be glued to my TV or computer during the race. It is still a dang hard race. But the glory days are over. Like most professional sports, it is clearly dirty.

Jimi said...

I, too, am a little saddened by the Lance Armstrong story. He did beat the cancer, and lived to win the tour seven times. If he wasn't the only one cheating, it is still an amazing feat. But. Where is the honesty with the fans and the rest of the public?

Red theme day successfully negotiated by Mr. Moohoo.

Santini said...

Boy, are you getting spammed.

You rode all the way to the airport?!!

SS