Friday, July 6, 2007

Number 100

It was another beautiful warm summer day here so I decided to take a ride on my bicycle.Grass Lake has appeared before. But as it is not accessible on a paved surface it has only appeared when I am riding the Axis. Today I rode across the pedestrain bridge still on the pavement and got this photo from near the end of the asphalt. For comparison see the photo in the March 23 post.

As I passed the spot near Lake Owasso where I saw the fox yesterday I had a different sort of encounter. Coming down the hill on Dale where two youngish teenage boys on BMX bikes. They were I suspect about 14 as they were too big for the bikes but they were still riding bikes, not yet eligible for a license to drive. We exchanged glances but nothing more. That is until about a half block later when I heard from behind me a "I like your helmet". I gave a thumbs up and a thank you. Not a nice bike but still it made me smile.

I don't have enough time on the farm to be positive about grain identifications either but I am reasonably sure that this is wheat. This is a plot growing along Larpenteur quite near to the campus buildings.The Tour de France starts tomorrow. The popular choice to win is Alexandre Vinokourov of the Astana team. I expect Vino to be the effervescent presence in the race that he was when last he raced but I do not expect him to win. My choice is for the maillot jaune to remain on the shoulders of a native English speaker. My prediction is Australia's Cadel Evans of the Lotto team. I think that he will be joined on the podium by Discovery Channel's Levi Leipheimer and a member of the Astana team who is not Vinokourov, Andreas Klöden.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look wheat like -- like symbols on cereal boxes. If we are making predictions, I'll have to give it some thought. It starts in London, I believe. SS

Anonymous said...

And congratulations on your 100th post. SS

Jimi said...

I think it's wheat, too. I did a google image search on "wheat" and the result seemed to strongly resemble your photo.

Are you allowed to predict non-dopers as favorites in the Tour? Are there going to be any non-dopers?