Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hooray for Scott

It was extremely windy today. But I invoked the Auckland rule and rode anyway. Besides, I had to test Scott's theory on reinstalling the pedals.

I report mixed results. On the down side, it was just way too windy and I had to invoke some sort of Northwest Passage corollary to the Auckland Rule. Sort of, I don't care what part of New Zealand you claim to be from, when the wind is strong enough to nearly blow you off your bike you have to try to get home before that (getting blown off your bike) actually happens. I did get in 10 miles, however, so I guess it sorta counts as a ride.

On the up side, hooray for Scott. Pedals greased up and reinstalled and the click is gone. So there's another valuable wrenching rule learned, always make sure the connections are tight. And another bicycle rule reinforced, try to have good relations with your local bike shop, they can be very helpful in mechanical matters related to your bicycle.

When I set off I didn't expect to get far so I did not even bring my camera. The photo here is yesterday's other odd tall thing at the Fair. In looking at this picture and the turbine blade from yesterday I am mostly struck by what a beautiful blue the sky was yesterday. A major benefit of riding your bicycle is that you find yourself outdoors during days like yesterday.

This Tour de France thing is going to totally ruin my life for the next three weeks. It is going to completely disrupt my regular routine. I watched again yesterday and I love this thing, I am totally going to watch every minute of it. Yesterday for the time they were on American TV they rode totally in Belgium. Whoa, Belgium. Geez, I love Belgium. Today they entered France, I am going to have to go and watch.

4 comments:

Emily M said...

So what are you saying, exactly? There's a trip to Belgium in your future? 'Cause they speak French there, at least in parts. I would totally tag along. I might even be able to arrange a boating outing, if we were so inclined.

Incidentally, Belgium is to France what Canada is to the U.S. - Their weird neighbors who speak mostly the same language, but what is up with the accent? Glad you're having fun, Dad.

Anonymous said...

Em - New Zealand and Oz have much the same deal going on. SS

Anonymous said...

TT says your winds were 30 plus. I remember almost getting blown over along Cliff Road, so I'd say you're at the top end of the Auckland Rule. Hard Core. ~ Legend

Anonymous said...

Is it too late to get into the TdF prediction game? They haven't been in the mountains yet, so the winner is still riding in obscurity. N'est pas?