Sunday, July 8, 2007

Half-way

The bicycle season is seven months long. There is an occasional ride in November and a few rides in March and even the very rare December or February. But the season really begins in April and ends at the end of October, seven months.

July is the middle month of the seven and the middle of the month, July 15 looms large. Those of us who are number obsessive know that a season mileage goal is best half-way achieved by July 15. Failure to do so leads to unpleasant scrambling as the daylight wanes.

Today I passed the half-way mark in my season mileage goal, a week early.

Today is going to be hot again, although probably not up to yesterday's scorching standards. I felt it was appropriate to get out before the heat again. I was out of the house before 7am again today and home just before 10:05. It slips my mind easily how very pleasant these early morning rides are in July when it is plenty warm enough to ride very early.

I don't ride in Minneapolis very often. I only get to this lake once or twice a year. So here is Lake Nokomis.Anyone who has or is currently living in Richfield or South Minneapolis will surely recognize this as the north side beach taken from the vantage point of the south side beach. It seems to me to be quintessentially Lake Nokomis.

Closed circuit to Ms. Wireless: I rode all the way around the lake, even that marshy bit west of Cedar that usually gets skipped. I turned off Nokomis boulevard at about the furthest western point and found myself to be at 54th and Bloomington and about 12 miles from home. I could get to, oh say, 77th and 12th with about 3.5 more miles. I would have done it this morning but it was only 8:30 and I would have been there before 9 and I knew you were not up. But be forewarned, you are within riding distance.

Riding early I taped today's stage of the Tour. I am going to go and watch it right now. Cancellara was fabulous yesterday but you cannot win the Tour in the Prologue. Closed circuit to Michigan: It might be possible to lose the Tour in the Prologue, particularly if you fall off your bike. Tough break for O'Grady. It doesn't take him out of the hunt for the green jersey or for stage wins but sprinters cannot afford to lose time in sprint stages. Klöden looked good, don't you think?

3 comments:

Santini said...

Yeah, if I was going to cheat and wait until after the prologue, I should at least have looked at the results before I made my picks. Cheating is cheating, but stupid is deadly. I watched today's bit of racing, and it held my interest -- but it is early.

Emily said...

I was just at that lake, only about 2 hours after you. It's a nice lake for rollerblading, and I don't skip the marshy bit. In fact, I usually do that part of the circuit twice, while waiting for the lovely roommate to be done with her jogging.

You're right, 8:30 would have been too early. But if you are ever around later in the day, feel free to stop by.

Anonymous said...

The Tour d' England part must be over by now. The live viewing had to be secondary to Wimby here, but I'll catch up when it gets to France. Isn't Belgium next? It's a long race.

Nokomis is a nice lake, and the bike paths pretty useable during the week. Early Saturday was probably good, too. Some weekend afternoons can get crowded with bikes and rollerbladers.