Monday, July 16, 2007

Parkview hill

It rained here overnight and I thought perhaps I would be joining the Tour in taking a rest day. It was sunny most of the day but cloudy by the time I got off work. I wasn't extra confident so I stayed relatively close to home but I got in a nice ride.

This is a place which is not that far away and yet I almost never get there. This is taken right outside the parking lot of the Parkview Center School, only about 3.5 miles from home. Perhaps the picture makes clear why I do not ride there very often. The street is County Road B and that long downhill to Dale Street is known locally as the Parkview hill. The kicker is that from that intersection it is steeply uphill in all four directions.I think Wireless has a story about riding a bike up that hill across the way on a school day on the way to the Gateway and then back up this way on the way back to school.

Australia's day at le Tour yesterday was even worse than I knew at the time I posted. In addition to the injuries to O'Grady and Rogers, Robbie McEwen finished outside the time limit and will not be allowed to continue. A very bad day for Australia.

3 comments:

Jimi said...

It should be an interesting day at the Tour. We may find that Rasmussen is human. But if he wins by the same margin as Sunday, his blood should be checked every hour, every day, until Paris.

TT

Emily said...

So there will be no Ewan McEwen looking all cute at the finish with his dad? That IS sad.

And here is my biking story. At the start of the day trip to Stillwater with about 30 (?) some 8th graders, we enthusiastically rode both down this hill and up the other side to get to the Gateway Trail. On the way back, however, I had to walk my bike up this hill. Not my proudest biking moment, I must say. But for someone who had not been biking long distances, it had been a long day. But fun.

I think perhaps they should have rethought the route.

Anonymous said...

I believe it is very hard to get to the Gateway without climbing some significant hills. And I declare that there is no shame in walking a bike up a hill -- you'd be amazed how often I see people walking their bikes up the Idlewood hill. (Though that is at least a little shameful.)