Sunday, July 24, 2016

Not quite flat on the bottom

The weather has taken a nasty turn here.  Three straight days of heat advisory plus a fourth day with pretty much all day rain, pretty hard all day rain at that.

These sorts of things severely limit bicycling opportunities.

But today we got back out there.

The wind was pretty strong but mostly straight from the west.  That is a condition that favors a straight out to the north route with a similar return.  One doesn't want to get too far east and have to ride back into that wind towards the end of the ride when you are tired.

The answer to that question is yes, I get tired on every ride.  As far as I am concerned that is the only reason to ride.  If I am just out there pedaling around I am really not benefiting myself.

We rode out to Lake Vadnais today.  It was the first appearance of the season at that iconic northern destination for the GRider.
Everyone gets to make their own evaluation but based on the photographic evidence I believe that she was quite pleased with herself.

Another view of our rest stop, this time looking north up the lake.  We love this view of Lake Vadnais, from the middle of the northern suburbs with no city in view in any direction.
FirstLOOK for perspective.

We topped the hill coming away from the lake and had just completed our favorite swoop under the railroad overpass on Rice Street when the GRider started chirping from behind about a tire problem.

I directed her off into a bit of shade and rode back to assess the situation.

It wasn't quite flat on the bottom but it was quite severely under desirable tire pressure.

I considered that we were about 3 miles from the bike shop and maybe 6 or so miles from home.

The tire wasn't completely flat so I did a full inspection of the exterior.  I found one sharp piece of glass imbedded about half way around from the valve stem.  We couldn't be sure that that bit was the problem but we decided to try to get to the bike shop.  I used my CO2 inflator to get the tire back up to firm enough to ride on and we set out.  After a couple of miles we came to a cross roads and a decision point.  We were about a mile from the bike shop, 4 miles from home.

We checked her tire, it was not very noticeably lower in pressure than when the CO2 was applied.

We tried for home.

And made it.  Still not quite flat on the bottom.

I didn't have time to work on the tire today as we were scheduled for baby sitting but I did check on the tire before we left to see Norah about an hour and a half after GRider finished riding.

Completely, totally, 100 percent flat.

The babysitting today was fabulous.  The baby was amazing.  When both we and her parents are present Norah seems quite severely overstaffed.  We stayed and her parents went out to dinner.  I can't speak for everyone but I think all 5 of us had quite a good time.  I can say that the baby was sweet and wonderful and that TOPWLH and I had a wonderful time.

Tomorrow there is no Tour de France so I think I will have time for tire repair.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I was quite pleased to be at Lake Vadnais feeling pretty fit (and I was enjoying a snack break). It was a beautiful day and a great ride until the tire incident. But after the tire check 4 miles from home, I relaxed and felt confident I would make it without the tire becoming completely flat on the bottom. It's nice (and handy) to ride with a tire mechanic.

And, yes, baby Norah was amazing tonight and a good time was had by all.

Santini said...

Ah, Vadnais. Such a pretty spot.