Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Heat advisory arrives tomorrow

It was plenty warm enough today but the accompanying humidity which will turn outside into an environment unsafe for the likes of me does not arrive until tomorrow.  Today was only hot and a bit windy, good evaporative cooling conditions.  On a day like today as long as I stay hydrated and keep moving I am OK.

On the way home I stopped to discuss just this matter with a neighbor.  He said it was too hot.  As soon as I stopped I agreed with him.

But it was OK while I was moving.

The State Capitol was my destination today to check on the restoration project down there.  The old building actually looks pretty good when it gets cleaned up.
I have lived here a long time and never once noticed until today that the Capitol is clearly constructed of two different stones.  I know that the upper part including the dome is constructed of marble from Georgia.  The base is a darker stone, I believe it to be local granite.  Remarkably I tried to find some information about the darker stone and gave up after checking a few links.

Looks like granite.

Until cleaned the marble just blended in with the darker stone.

The construction site on the Fairgrounds earlier identified as possibly the new cookie stand has proven to be no such thing.  With no other construction going on anywhere on the north end the GRider and I were starting to doubt if the expansion to three sites was actually going to happen this year.

Today there is another construction site out there on the north end.
So, I'll keep an eye on that one now.  It is on the same block as the Home Depot, at the other of the block.

Air conditioning test tomorrow.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Evaporative cooling does work, though it doesn't seem like it should.

The fair better get a move on. Summer is moving along at a rapid pace.

jilrubia said...

Think I remember hearing the northside cookie place will be semi-permanent this year, and if a success (duh!?) they will build a permanent structure for the following year. Or not.

BDE said...

Ooh, Jilrubia, this makes sense. A semi-permanent structure would take less time to build so they still have time. I am sure GZ will keep an eye on this area and keep us informed.

Stay tuned.