Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mostly yesterday

I rode today.  But I rode today in conditions that never inspired photography.

I also rode yesterday but apparently in conditions that never inspired blogging.

The combination of the two?

It was pretty nice both days.  It was plenty warm enough yesterday, perhaps a bit too warm for the way I was dressed.  But it was windy, windy at this time of year is a delicate balance, perhaps I missed by a bit, but for the most part I was glad to have my jacket.

Then we had a pretty hard rain overnight.  I wasn't expecting to ride today but by golly by about the time I usually set out to ride there just was not any excuse for why I wouldn't.  It was dry enough, warm enough, and not punitive wind enough.

So I rode today.  I rode mostly to the same places I rode yesterday.  I didn't take any pictures today so these are pictures I took yesterday.

I rode to the Fairgrounds. I like the Fairgrounds.  Pavement.  No traffic.  Interesting stuff to look at.

But the Fairgrounds is an active location.  Even though the Fair is over, winter is coming and there is still lots of activity as preparations for winter are ongoing.   The time has come for storage of stuff inside buildings at the Fairgrounds in buildings which are plenty good at this time of year for storage as they mostly won't be needed for any other purpose until late next summer.  Late next summer looks more and more like what it truly is, almost a year away.

This way for storage.
Skyride.  Agriculture.

Bright reddish tree and some greenish yellow for perspective. That's the Food Building in the background on the right.

As I rode away from the Fairgrounds I discovered some fairly exotic horticulture.  This is a display along the street boulevard fronting two houses in that Como neighborhood.
Some of that stuff displays an alarming growth rate which just is not going to be sustainable in this climate.

Kudos to the folks over there who plant and maintain a pretty interesting display.

In the spirit of signs of the season I noticed the hockey boards have gone up at McMurray Fields.  Actually, as a long time ago former employee (I receive $72 per month pension) of the city I note that those particular rinks have never been primarily hockey rinks, they are mostly used for adult recreational broomball.

I swung by to get a seasonal photo but was surprised instead by this:
Hockey/broomball boards in the background but an electric car charging station in the foreground.  A solar powered electric charging station.

With lots of still interesting trees and a pretty nice blue sky doing their best to keep late October a still visually interesting environment.  And it is.

A nice ride today and a nice ride yesterday.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Late fall colors, for sure. Those exotic looking plants don't seem to have seen a hard frost/freeze yet.

Good intentions with that solar power electric thingy. Not useful in MN from November to April, I would think.

TOPWLH said...

I'm looking forward to seeing that display along the street boulevard on a warm sunny day (like today!).

TOPWLH said...

I did see this display today and it was amazing and much more extensive (it includes the boulevards of three homes) than depicted here. Everyone should ride by this sometime between August-October next year to see it. It's like being at the Como Conservatory or Disney World. Too bad it was so overcast so that no new pictures were taken today. Stay tuned, I would say if this were my blog.