Monday, October 6, 2014

Particularly nasty weather

Have I used that one before?  I think so.  It is the opening gambit of what was at one time just about my favorite joke in the world.

I think it is 8 days ago we had a high temperature in the 80s.  Not just 80 mind you, in the 80s.

Then rain, then cold (although I did ride that day), then rain again, then cold rain, then too cold, too ugly, really cold and then at last the Twin Cities Marathon.

Particularly nasty weather.  Which certainly can happen in October.

But October is a favorite month and today it was only too cold, none of the others.  And today it wasn't way obviously too cold like last Friday, it was just below average.

I had a very nice ride, thank you.

A pretty strong (OK, too strong) west wind had me riding my west wind loop downhill into the wind to start things off.  I discovered that just about the whole costume was right on the money except for my fingers.  Knit long finger gloves were not enough to keep my fingers comfortable.  I swung back home at about 5.5 miles and added the mitten layer to my hands.

And then, what the heck, I was home again, why not.  I rode the west wind loop downhill into the wind again.  That uphill on the way back is not terribly difficult and it is a lot of fun with a strong wind behind.  I love being in the big ring pushing hard on an uphill.

I had quite a few miles in and hadn't really gone anywhere yet.

I swung through the standard heading south neighborhoods before another episode of mostly downhill into the wind which brought me into the Fairgrounds.  The Fairgrounds is a good place to ride to in a strong WSW wind.  I can get home from there riding mostly north, tailwind.

I was JRA when I was surprised to be offered the opportunity to ride on some pavement where I have never, ever ridden before.

The Horse Barn.
It's across the street from the Cattle Barn (temperature 51F) and the door was open.

I actually rode right up into the opening and looked around.

I am pretty sure I could have taken a tour if I had wanted to but please examine the horse barn photo.  Notice please the splotches on the sidewalk.

Clean up at the Horse Barn was still in progress.

I did actually turn a couple of pedal strokes inside the entrance to the barn as I turned around and headed back out.  Partial credit, but incomplete.

Apparently I won some sort of award though.
What place is yellow?

1 comment:

Santini said...

The weather isn't all that different from Spring weather right now -- one big difference being your level of fitness. Uphill in the big ring might have been too hard in April/May.

As for me, I rode, too windy, I'm tired. (Too short for a blog post.)