Wednesday, October 15, 2014

3,002

It becomes more and more obvious with each day that goes by when I don't ride 100 or so miles that the former goal of 4,000 miles is out of reach this year.  Well, actually that goal has been pretty dang obviously out of reach since about April 15.  But today I reached the thousand number just below that former goal and I feel pretty good about it.  As previously noted, this is already more miles than I rode last year.  And with probably 2 or 3 weeks remaining before the season rings to a close I might even reach 80 percent of the former goal.

80 percent would be a B.  B is not the top grade but it is respectable, last year I barely, barely made C.  I'm going to keep grinding trying to get to B.

Today's wind conditions were similar to yesterday's in direction but quite a bit better in velocity.  That means predominantly north, secondarily east winds but today very light in velocity.  Light NE winds is a perfect recipe for Vadnais and I went there again today.

I have had lots of years when I went to Vadnais several days in a row, it feels pretty good to at least finally get there two days in a row.

No swans at Vadnais today but the scaup made a repeat appearance.
There must about a tausen dux inaroe.

Onojo.

The scaup still move away from the shoreline when another species approaches but having been here for a few days now they are less frantic in their flight.  They move away certainly, but easily and confident that the danger if present is slight.

A pretty good reason why there were no swans at Vadnais is that the two I saw there yesterday have moved one lake farther north.  Swans at Sucker Lake.
Pretty spectacular scenery at Sucker Lake today.

This one is within a mile of my house.  Spectacular orange maple with another maple in the background still mostly green, spruce on the right, white pine on the left, spectacular blue sky above.
I still have one more bicycle statistical goal I would be really pleased to reach.  Sometimes I think this goal still seems well within reason but the truth is that is only well within reason if I get probably at least three more weeks of decent weather and decent riding.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

You can't count the miles until you actually ride them.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

The Snail Lake photo is fantastic.
I hope you go to Vadnais 3 days in a row because I want to go there tomorrow!

Retired Professor said...

We're giving out grades now? I never did like that part of the job.

Mega congrats on the 3,002 miles. That's a big number, a really big number.

It sure is pretty in October where you live.