Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wind shifts

Boasting is never a good idea.

We had another day of mostly east wind. The weather station said ESE when I started and that seemed about right. South wasn't very hard but east was a little chilly and a little hard. Still, I felt like if I could do it yesterday I could go out and charge again today.

Well . . .

That doesn't always go so well.

But I was going along OK, I had completed the mostly east starting leg and was riding south and started to feel pretty good. In fact, it even occurred to me that I was feeling a little too good. I dropped into the Fairgrounds as that is always a good place to ride around a block to get an accurate reading on wind direction.

The wind had shifted around a bit to more like NE.

I broke off the southern ride and instead started back towards the north for an abbreviated northern loop. Unfortunately about the time I passed the starting point I felt the wind shifting again. It continued to fluctuate mildly for the rest of the ride, sometimes NE, sometimes SE, but always east. I kept the ride to a mostly north south out and back to avoid as much as I could exposure to the wind.

It wasn't the America's Cup, in fact it wasn't even the Macatawa Bay Yacht Club Wednesday regatta, but it felt like what I imagine sailing to feel like (I wouldn't actually know, I don't like boats).

It was a nice enough day, not as nice as yesterday but still pretty. I made my northern turn around at Island Lake Park.Recovery day rides are never as fast as the peak day but I did well enough to allow for entry of average speed into the bike log again.

On the issue of Tide, I believe there are a wide variety of theories about the thefts. In fact, a quick search reveals that some are now starting to say that the whole thing may have been puffed up to a bit more than actually exists. I found this video which is about as authoritative as anything I have seen to date:

2 comments:

Santini said...

Much harder to make a clean get away? Really? Funny stuff. Love the subtitles. Sort of.

Nice sailing references, too.

Mrs. Smith said...

Well, it made me LOL.