Sunday, April 8, 2012

Gale force

I had a really nice stretch downhill with a tail wind for about a mile. Other than that the wind seemed like the hardest ever. It blew hard from the WNW, so hard that it was one of those days where it feels like a head wind in three of the four cardinal directions. The wind was so strong from the side that even with a slightly quartering tail wind it still seemed to make riding difficult.

Part of the problem was that I had chosen to ride to the north. I was doing OK in that direction but as I got farther north it seemed pretty enough that I wanted to ride over and check out Lake Vadnais. Vadnais is too far east and I ended up having to get back over two and a half miles directly into the teeth of the wind.

It was hard again.

Here is another view of the brush clearing project in the Allison Forest at Lake Vadnais. This one is right at the point where the project ends. Clearly visible on the left of the photograph is what the rest of the woods out there looks like.The difference is VERY striking.

In order to alleviate some confusion about the location of this work I stood in exactly the same spot and took both the above photograph and the one below. I did zoom the one below a bit but it should still serve to establish location.Boonen wins Paris-Roubaix for the fourth time.

I saw zero Easter bunnies but I did see lots of people flying kites. It was a kite kind of day.

2 comments:

Santini said...

"Hardest ever" again? I appreciate the report though, since I think that is what is in store for us today and tomorrow.

Two and a half miles into a gale is a long way. Very hard.

I watched some of P-R on TV last night, but Boonen was already alone and ahead, so not much drama. 'Cobblestones' was the topic for the April theme day, by the way.

TOPWLH said...

I know where that is for sure now.
Sounds TOO windy!