Thursday, October 6, 2011

Parade of orange

I heard on the radio this afternoon that the predicted low for overnight tonight is within a degree of the average daytime high for tomorrow. With conditions such as this persisting for yet another day I was out riding around on my bicycle.

The morning newspaper seconded my announcement that the leaves are at a peak. The leaves are pretty spectacular and today the sky was too. This is mostly going to be about maples and orange but here is an Ash right next to my house.This one is very close to home, only a couple of blocks away. That tree is close enough to my house that I walk past it several times a week during the winter time walking tours.Not every tree has completed the color transition but some have already dropped their leaves. Peak is an ambiguous term, the morning newspaper, for example, is emphasizing that the leaves are at peak because soon many of the early changers will have dropped their leaves. The one left front is over but the others haven't gotten the message that they should give it up.These are the will make your eyes water trees, still working their way up to peak.I actually went looking for this tree. I remembered that there was a pod of brilliant orange near Marshall and Cleveland last year. This one is at Dayton and Wilder.The cottonwood tree has been throwing down leaves all day long. The configuration of our house and the evergreen wind screen creates a lee spot at the front of the garage. Leaves get exiled into that spot from the main wind patterns and settle down to stay. I have to go out there several times during the fall to clear off the driveway.Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel Special Edition custom build for scale.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Gorgeous. I love fall.