Monday, October 3, 2011

Construction update

The official high yesterday was only? 79. I have heard reports of 80 and I believe it. Today promised more of the same so I planned on a bicycle ride.

The wind was ESE and I thought I might do the Capitol loop. I was still riding in the neighborhood getting warmed up but had started off in the usual direction that I travel for this route (south) when I found the headwind a tiny bit troubling. It occurred to me that the Capitol loop is a triangle and that the direction I was heading would lead me to doing two of the three sides into the wind. I changed my plan.

Instead I headed directly into the wind figuring to do the upwind part while I was fresh and hoping to get tailwinds on the other two legs. This meant that I rode down Como to the Capitol. I stopped at the Capitol overlook to get a view from that elevated position of light rail construction in Saint Paul. I took this picture which is not a picture of light rail construction, but it does include a crane, which therefore does indicate construction. But the reason why I took this photo is because I think I see the place where I used to work. Every day that goes by makes that part of my life more remote from my current existence.I miss my friends but on a day like today I am totally at peace with riding a bicycle instead of sitting in the office.

When you ride a familiar route in the opposite direction from the usual it is a completely different ride. For example, that exhilarating downhill from the Cathedral to the Capitol is a bit of a tester when done in the uphill direction. But I rode up to Omnium on Cathedral Hill to check in with Dan. The proprietor, Dan, has always been an admirer of the yellow bicycle and has on several occasions asked me when we would see it again. I was riding the yellow bicycle today so I stopped off to show it to Dan. The P-ster calls him Fuzz.

The photo yesterday was taken at Summit and Albert. The artist intended to display that the Marathon was over but that clean up was only in the early stages.

This is going to be one of the prettiest spots in Saint Paul some time in the next couple of weeks. It is a spot I have photographed before. The leaves on those maple trees are going to go to a sublime shade of orange and when the autumn sun hits them at just the right angle it is going to be pretty enough to make your eyes water.I have to start riding past there as often as possible to try to catch that moment. Today it is too early, the maples have only just started to change. I think they actually look quite attractive, though, and it only gets better.

I rode through the Fairgrounds on the way home, also something of a change, that is usually a part of the ride out.

EG: no report, apparently they noticed -196F and have shut that one down until repairs can be made.
CB: Lots of people at the cattle barn today, moving stuff out after the big weekend horse show. 73.
AOWG; 86!!!!!!

Cows:When I did have a job I used to say that there were not enough days like today in any one person's life to justify spending very many of them on the fourth floor of a building with windows that do not even open. With apologies to my friends who still have to do that, I spent today on the right side of the inside/outside divide. It was another OOTNDITHODs.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Your fall color is further along than ours -- I like autumn in all of its stages, and your photo is a good example of why that is so.

Never get enough of those cows.

(Ignore that "retired professor" person -- she's well known for being difficult at times. And yes, "difficult" is code for something else.)

TOPWLH said...

I agree about the cows. And I think the retired professor person just needed a 2-hour bike ride!
I also agree that today was OOTNDITHODs (and I even had to work during part of it).

Emily M said...

COWS! Always my favorite. :-)