Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Too cold

Today was clearly too cold for end of May bicycling. As a direct result I only got in a little over two hour bicycle ride. It was brutal. It was also windy.

It was also grey. For the second ride in a row the sun never ever emerged. Even so, I thought this display near Langford Park deserved a showing.Imagine how striking that flower bed must be in the sunlight.

*sigh* Stuck on imagining. *sigh*

I think that one of the interesting things about life is that I often find that if I make a sweeping general definitive judgment about some topic or another life will promptly intervene exposing me as a jackass. Yesterday I proclaimed that there was no pavement within an hour's ride from my house that I had not ridden.

Today I rode over to the Fairgrounds.

EG: 59 CB:58 AOWG: 64 So about 60, clearly too cold.

This gate is always, ALWAYS closed and locked.Nice looking sky, eh?

That previously unridden upon piece of pavement beyond the previously always ALWAYS locked gate leads to and around the water tower and then serves as the main road of the campground located along Snelling Avenue, the campground familiar to Minnesotans as the all year long vacant field along Snelling which becomes a shoehorned in full to capacity sea of what is referred to on the television coverage of the Tour de France as camper cars during Fair week.

Today that bit of roadway joined the collection of pavement within an hour's ride from my house that I have ridden upon.

*sigh*

One doesn't expect to be so completely exposed so ridiculously promptly after making a good faith boast. I will not today be making any definitive statements. I am chastened.

Here are the guardians of that gate, looking to me particularly alien.The Fair has lots of aliens. It also has a few miles of paved road, a couple hundred yards of which I had not ridden on until today.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

Ok, that bears/aliens guardians of the gate sculpture (carving?) is really weird. I must go check it out soon. Plus, I must point out as an English teacher that the paragraph under the nice looking sky is really just a VERY long sentence. Did you know that paragraphs require more than one sentence? Sigh. A little known rule based on the papers I get. I must admit that it is an understandable, even interesting sentence, but it could use a few dashes or something.
Congrats on getting a ride in on such a cool, gloomy May day.

Santini said...

I have no criticisms of your writing style.

The flower garden is lovely for so early in the season.

I agree with the previous commenter on the alien guardians. Weird.