Saturday, May 28, 2011

Guest Rider

I am probably going to suspend complaining but probably only temporarily. Today was except for that one awkward threat of severe weather in mid afternoon, a pretty nice day. It was warm enough and sunny most of the time. In an effort to add perspective to the whole discussion I decided to check the archives to see what the weather was like one year ago on this date. I am not positive about the weather in Roseville but it was cool that morning at les Jardins du Palais Royale.While I was in the archives I also came across this. Wireless recently informed me that they don't have school buses in France.Every motorist in Minnesota is hereby requested to ratchet up their bicyclist awareness quotient to allow for the entry of one more rider in the metro area. Today the Guest Rider made her first guest appearance of the season. Either that or the aliens have proliferated.I also took her past the snow pile at the Fairgrounds. It is a mere shadow of its former self but it is most definitely still present.May 28, impressive staying power.

We rode for a little less than an hour and then I called a rest stop at Langford Park. After taking what I deemed to be a sufficient break I asked her how much further she wanted to ride. She replied, "How far is it home?"

If everyone will promise not to tell her I will let you all know that she actually did quite well for a first ride of the year, completing a tad over 16 miles. If you don't think that is a lot, you haven't tried to ride 16 miles recently. I checked my own log and discovered that my first ride of this season was only 14 miles so she has made an impressive debut.

Plus, she said she likes it.

Today's milestone for me is that I have at long last dragged the season mileage beyond the first big milestone, today reaching 1,008 miles for the year.

As for tomorrow's event, I am declaring the first round complete. A recap:
Gino takes Dixon
TCWUTH takes Will Power
The cyclist formerly known as Santini takes the guy with the Italian sounding name Tagliani
Castroneves goes to the tennis player sometimes previously known as JQ
GRider takes Danny Sullivan

For my second pick I admit strong interest in the French bread guy in the middle of the 5th row but I am going to take outside row 2, Dan Wheldon. The Commissioner (me) declares that if no one takes Baguette with a formal draft choice that Gino (me) will be awarded rights to that driver as a "bonus pick". Further the Commissioner sayeth not (for now).

And her actual pick is the driver married to Ashley Judd.

16 comments:

Emily M said...

Since I am making my picks based only on the name of the driver, it's a toss-up between a guy in the 2nd row and a guy in the 3rd row.

In the end, I think I'll take Townsend Bell, for Eli and Vanessa. And, you know, he seems decent.

Santini said...

In a move for solidarity with my gender, and because I like her name, and she's the highest qualified woman in the field, I pick Simona de Silvestro . And she also sounds Italian.

Mrs Smith said...

I didn't know Dario was married to Ashley Judd. I picked him because he was speedy and the cutest one. Maybe that's why she picked him, too. Oh, and I loved riding today.

Jimi said...

The tennis player, referred to twice today as JQ, would like to claim the Japanese driver, Takuma Sato, as his second pick.

Santini said...

Good job, Guest Rider. 16 miles is a long ride.

Mrs Smith said...

Well, because I love French bread and I used to be BB, my second pick is Bertrand Baguette.

Gino said...

Bonus pick: AJ Foyt. Or in lieu of that, driving for the AJ Foyt team in car number 14, Vitor Meira.

Santini said...

bonus pick, Mario Andretti (John and Marco)

Emily M said...

Bonus pick? Ok, I'll take Oriol Servia in row 1.

30 minutes to go! Plenty of Andrettis still available.

Emily M said...

Ooops, I stand corrected.

Gino said...

OK, the Commissioner (me) rules that you while you can get Marco Andretti with Mario, you don't get John. John is not directly descended from Mario. John is Aldo's son, Aldo is Mario's twin brother. Further the Commissioner sayeth not (for now).

Mrs Smith said...

My bonus pick is Ed Carpenter.

Gino said...

The Commissioner (me) reconsiders due to the Italian name theme thing. A selector who already has Tagliani, Simona, and Marco gets ANY Andretti by default.

Santini said...

Grazie, Mr. Commissioner.

Emily M said...

JQ has weighed in via phone just before the start. He takes Danica as his bonus pick.

Santini said...

Congrats, GZ. Nice race.