Monday, May 16, 2011

Ambience reverts to Monday normal

It was still pretty windy today but I AM DEFINITELY NOT COMPLAINING.

The temperature came pretty close to average, the sun was out, it was without doubt a pretty darn nice day.

But it was windy. Today is long ride day but with strong NE winds I discovered upon reaching the usual turn back point at the northeastern edge of the usual ride that I had had enough. Instead of going for more I turned for home. It seems that long ride day will have to wait for the wind to die down a bit.

Today was a nicer day than yesterday but as so often happens the people who were out enjoying yesterday's sunshine were not present today. The teeming hordes of weekend recreators all returned to their Monday pursuits and I had the streets pretty much to myself. All together now, there a finite number of days as nice as today in any person's life. It is a shame to spend more of them than absolutely necessary on the fourth floor of a building with windows that do not open. I spent today outdoors.

As May finally begins to act like May the signs of spring are unmistakable. Here is a place in Shoreview where lots of us have been, the four flowering crabs in the yard on the corner at the top of the hill.The trees have not reached peak yet but with a blue sky as backdrop, with all the green and with the red car for contrast I thought that this transition moment made for a photo opportunity.

I had the streets mostly to myself and I expected to find Lake Vadnais relatively deserted as well. But fishing trumps lots of other activities. The road down into Vadnais which was lined with cars yesterday had many fewer today but when I got to the parking lot the scene was pretty much the same as yesterday with lots of folks enjoying the day with a line in the water.

I got this photo of Sucker Lake.Sucker Lake is a walk in lake, there are parking lots at both ends of what clearly was at one time a street. But there are barricades at both parking lots with a distance of a couple of hundred yards to this spot on the lake. Only pedestrians and bicyclists are down at the lake. It always makes for a peaceful spot and an ambience much different than a lake with a parking lot right on the shore line.

Purple flowers near Lake Owasso in Roseville.That is the corner yard with the barking dog and the invisible dog fence. The old dog knew the futility of barking and stayed in the shade. A couple of years ago they got a new dog. The new dog is s-l-o-w-l-y figuring it out but still barks and makes a token feint towards the street when I go by.

Speaking of streets where I ride a lot, I came across this new development on Garden Avenue near Fernwood.I ride on Garden a lot but it seems obvious to me that I will quite soon be seeking an alternative route through that part of town.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

It looks beautiful, not at all windy. But I believe it was and understand you are not complaining.

Santini said...

Nice job, trees. Nice bench photo, as well. It does look like a really nice day. Photos don't capture wind very well.