Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A little bit nicer today

The temperature stayed near average while the wind died down and shifted around to be out of east. The changes made today just a little bit nicer than yesterday. I put my lightest jacket on the start the ride not being sure what the effect of what wind there was might be but I finished the ride today in short sleeves (and shorts). Need I repeat? I AM DEFINITELY NOT COMPLAINING!

An east wind is one of my favorites. Most of my routes are predominantly north-south. An east wind means that I can do most of the ride without facing the wind directly. Admittedly riding in a cross wind is not without its challenges either but I prefer those challenges to the struggle directly into the wind.

Today I headed off towards the big city. The wind was slightly south of due east which meant a predominantly southern route was preferred. With the wind diminished I took the week's long ride, postponed from yesterday, today. And the long ride turned out to be necessary as well as a good thing as for the first time this year I reached the end of the standard distance for the two hour ride in less than two hours. That means I rode what was for me fast.

I rode down to the confluence of the two big local rivers. The flood is officially over at our latitude but the river is still very high, appearing to be over the banks on Pike Island, visible on the left of the photo.Mendota in the background, Highway 55 bridge visible crossing the Minnesota River gorge.

That bench yesterday seemed to be pretty well received so here is another one, Fort Snelling across the Mississippi to help identify location.We have the entered the time of year when it really smells very nice just about everywhere you go. This is on Otis Avenue just off the Saint Thomas campus, between Cretin and the river.I am standing in someone's yard among some trees which will flower but really haven't yet, photographing the extraordinarily pleasant smelling white blossom crab apples on the street boulevard with some not quite as fragrant but perhaps more visually stimulating purple blossom crab apples in the yard across the street.

It really smelled good where I was standing.

In other growing season news, the corn is up.Other things learned today: It appears that ALL of the streets in Saint Paul have been swept. Out here where I live both Lexington and Cleveland, both major thoroughfares, and both county maintained routes, remain covered with winter debris.

4 comments:

Santini said...

The river currents appear to be running strong. Green has finally appeared in your landscape photos.

Spring does smell great, I agree.

Retired Professor said...

Nice bench.

Emily M said...

Excellent corn photo, I approve 100%.

Expect an up-tick in blogging from me in the very near future. Paris is totally bloggable. :-)

Jimi said...

I'll be expecting photos taken inside cramped French elevators. I look forward to the artistry.