Saturday, October 31, 2009

Clear and cold

Three more days of pretty persistent rain means that at least one record was set here. It hasn't been officially confirmed yet but based on what the weather channel was reporting on the first of the most recent three day monsoon this October set an all time record for most rain in October since they began keeping track. The bicycling went less well.

The storm finally moved off to the northeast and behind it came just what one should expect at this time of year, clear and COLD. As morning would up I still wasn't sure what my exercise intentions were but I was encouraged by the fact that it looked pretty nice on our deck.We have lots of leaves and until November 10 before they have to be rounded up in front of the house for municipal leaf pick up. It looked nice out there but it was 39 when I headed out the door.

It is interesting every year how the person acclimated to riding in 80 degree temperatures gradually adapts to the cold. At first 55 seems too cold, but eventually the layers start to be added and 55 isn't so bad. The same thing happens at 50 and at 45 and finally at 40. Today I had to keep the balaclava pulled up whenever I was headed into the strong west wind (and most of the time when I was headed north) but it was OK, I was comfortable. I added my windstopper shoe covers over my feet to the costume today, I am nearly out of things to add. When I passed a time and temperature sign on the way home it displayed a 41, practically balmy.

The sun stayed out for about the first 15 miles and it was pretty enough while the sun shone. Here is a corner of Island Lake Park, a tiny bit of the lake is visible left foreground.That radio tower looks like it is rooted in the park but actually it is at least a half mile beyond, over in the Grass Lake park part of these interconnected wetlands.

It has rained so much that Snail Lake is filling back up. The lake has no streams running into it and is fed only by run off from its watershed. It had fallen to very low levels earlier this year.It still isn't quite high enough to actually launch a boat from this ramp but you could now at least wade out into the lake from the edge of the concrete, a significant improvement.

I completed the full ride, all the way out to the Rainbow in Shoreview on Highway 96 and Hodgson Road and back through Sucker Lake and Lake Vadnais. I think those must be oak trees on the eastern short of Vadnais, those are the only numerous tree around here still having enough foliage left to produce a display of color.It was a no other adult recreational bicyclist ride, something of a surprise to me. It is the last day of daylight time, a day when the obsessed (such as myself) need to ride, one of the very last days when there will be daylight available to ride in for those who are employed. I saw three other people on bicycles but they were all children riding on the sidewalk. I saw not a single other adult.

By the time I arrived home the clouds had closed back in and a heavy overcast currently reigns. It looks and feels like November out there and by golly, I guess it almost is.

I set no mileage records this month even though, as suggested by GRider, the likelihood that I might is greatly enhanced by the fact that I keep track of lots of things. I did avoid riding the fewest miles ever in October but none of those other Octobers were Octobers with the most rain ever for the month of October.

I rode my bicycle today, it was cold, it was good.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Pretty pictures.

Emily M said...

Are you going to need help with all that raking?