Thursday, October 22, 2009

Not a single other bicycle

I did not see a single other bicycle, not one.

And I only saw two people walking, both walking a dog. There were a few people doing yard work and outdoor construction was still at full throttle. But being outdoors for exercise today was very nearly a private experience. Bicycling today WAS a private experience.

Because it was cold, that's why. According to the TV weather channel it was 41 but it wasn't that in my front yard. There was no sun and there was a strong wind from the northeast.

How was it? It was cold.

That's about the bottom temperature limit for me. I have said that I won't ride when the water in my water bottles will freeze. I could be out there with an ambient air temperature in the 30s but I doubt it would be any colder than it was today.

I was adequately dressed, feeling only a chill on my thighs as I set out. As those big muscles got loosened up they warmed themselves and I was adequately dressed. I had the balaclava on and today on those parts of the ride into the wind I had it for the first time this year pulled up over my mouth and nose, but perhaps most importantly, over my cheekbones.

I didn't expect to get any photos but when I saw this I stopped cold (stopped cold, good one, eh?). It seems a little early to me but I suppose if you are going to put this much effort into your display, you want it out there early to assure that you get your money's worth.It's a little over the top but I like it. I wonder what they do for Christmas. The only other thing I would say is that with a yard display like that they better be giving out full sized candy bars. To do this in the yard and then give out cheap candy would be wrong, IMO.

That yard is in Shoreview and as I neared turnaround I started looking for a spot from which I could display wind and the Shoreview water tower. I had to go a little north of the water tower to do so, looking back over the flag displayed by Deluxe Corp. at the entrance to their check printing facility.I have complained in the past that I ride past the Shoreview water tower a lot and that the light is never quite right for a photograph. Lighting conditions were clearly not an issue today.

2 comments:

gfr said...

Gray, windy, cold. A heck of a day for a bike ride. There's not much bikeable weather left, apparently. Maybe none. It takes a while for that to sink in, though.

Santini said...

Two nice photos, BTW.

Biking is essentially a solitary experience -- unless you're one of those groupie bikers. The occasional social interaction is welcome, but not necessary, IMHO.