Saturday, October 10, 2009

It's a beautiful morning

The Pioneer Press weather page reports that the all time record low for this date is 25. It was 25 on our front yard digital thermometer when I got up this morning. The weather widget on my blog is reporting 24. There is nothing "official" about those readings but it is apparent that this is an unusually cold day in October. The normal high is reported to be 62 with a normal low of 42. Today's predicted high of 40 is lower than the normal low.

In the KARE11 Forecast feature in the same newspaper Belinda and Sven report that "While snow showers are not uncommon in the first half of October (it happens almost every year), measurable snowfall amounts in early October are much more rare. The last measurable snowfall in the Twin Cities before mid-October was September 24, 1985."

So, yes Ms. Wireless, this HAS happened before in your lifetime.

3 comments:

gfr said...

Measureable snow. I saw the white stuff on the radar in your area, but the accumulating part comes as a surprise.

Unknown said...

Augh. "Normal!" I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of how often we have records? It seems like more often than not it isn't normal.

Retired Professor said...

It appears to be October 11th, again. I wanted to pass along congratulations and greetings, and the usual sentiments for the occasion. I will try to call later, but in case I miss you -- I am terribly incompetent with telephones -- I hope this will count. Happy day.