Friday, October 16, 2009

November hangs on

While I was deciding today on when to ride I happened to watch an on-line stream of an early morning TV weathercast. KARE reports that the average high temperature so far this month is 47 and that the average average high for this period is 63. This month is, to date, the coldest October on record. So, there you go, uniquely cold.

And today was the coldest yet that it has been when I set out to ride, about 40. The sun was a little more in evidence than it has been though so it was only cold, not unpleasantly cold. In fact, the sun was sort of out for most of the first 8 or so miles, remaining firmly planted in a patch of lighter than the rest of the sky overcast. Eventually the clouds won though and even though after that the sun tried to reappear a couple of times it eventually gave up and everything went grey.

I was prepared to come back without a photo until I passed Lake Owasso. There had been a slight breeze when I set out but by this point in the day the wind had stopped and the air was dead still. I thought the reflection in the lake made for a nice image.I rode past this vermin at the corner of Judith and Sheldon streets. Now, there is a quintessential suburban intersection, Judith and Sheldon. We don't need no stinking Second and Main out here in the burbs.Eventually I found myself again, as was the case on my last ride a couple of days ago, riding into sporadic episodes of light sprinkles. As usual upon such an occurrence, I headed immediately for home. I rode into and out of the sprinkles a couple of times and eventually found myself in places where it had rained, leaving the street damp. But I never actually got rained on and I never rode through wet streets, only damp. I am glad to be home though, as it is raining outside right now.

Cold is unpleasant, cold and wet would be intolerable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very artistic photo of Lake Owasso. It looks like a painting. And I am quite surprised and happy that you rode today.
B

Retired Professor said...

I agree with B on the photo. Nice shot.

I predict that at this point, any return of warmth will be accompanied by a strong south wind.