Monday, October 19, 2009

Average mileage pokes above 11

That whole double blogging thing is too hard. It takes too much creative energy to do more than one, it wore me out. It was a lot of fun (and continues to be) but I don't think I will be attempting that again soon.

Today dawned at a temperature above what has been the daily high for most of the month. A review of the usual weather sites led me to believe that today would be a grand day, a day with temperatures into the 60s by noon albeit decreasing thereafter.

It was grey at noon but the front of the house outdoor temperature was 55 so I dressed for 60 and set off.

Ooops.

They missed by about five degrees. 55 ended up being the high.

This whole riding in the 40s has seriously thrown off my costuming. I am quite prepared to dress for 40 but I have forgotten how to dress for 55. I was a little bit uncomfortable.

The wind was from the north and I was determined to head out to Lake Vadnais. I haven't been there much lately and it is a good spot for keeping track of the seasonal changes. I got about three miles into the ride before I changed my plan. The atmosphere was heavy and threatening and felt more like rain than at anytime when I have ridden this year, except of course, for those times when it actually did rain. I broke off the trip north and reverted to what Michigan Herb, the Hope accounting guy would call "riding in circles." Actually I am totally with Herb this time, I rode in circles, staying close to home. Cold is uncomfortable, cold and wet is intolerable.

Still, I was determined to get in my 10 miles to keep that average thing going so despite the northerly winds I took a little loop to the south. It was a grey, grey day but this tree looked to me to be stunning enough to show well despite the lighting.That tree or perhaps largish bush is on one of my regular routes, this time I happened to be going in the opposite of the usual direction which may be why I noticed the colors. There is still plenty of green underneath the top layer of leaves, if this thing lasts for a few days I will try to get a picture of it with the sun out.

I was looping through the Fairgrounds when it occurred to me that I was quite close to home and that I was a bit uncomfortably cold. Doh. Close to home? I swung by home where I went inside and adjusted my costume, going with heavier jacket, heavier head cover and my warm mittens. After that riding was just fine.

I got in the full two hour ride. I encountered the lady on the comfort bike again. She is the one who said riding in this weather is a matter of dressing properly. To firmly establish that it was chilly today, the comfort bike lady today had on a pretty substantial looking fleece jacket. We exchanged greetings each recognizing that the other was out when few bicyclists were. She looked comfortable.

On July 24 I posted a photo of an unknown plant and unsuccessfully sought assistance in identifying it. It is time for Round 2.

Today the unknown plant was being harvested.I had to do a little cyclocross out into the field to get that picture. That combine was moving so slowly that it seemed like I would be there for way too long if I waited at the street at the end of the field for it to reach me. While I was out in the grassy area I briefly dismounted and harvested one of the plants for myself. Upon arriving home I prepared this display.Keys for scale. But I still don't know what it is. Anybody got any idea? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

There's a special little Easter egg there for my friends who are still showing up for work at 500 Lafayette.

To be fair to today, the sun did come out after I was home from my ride and this late afternoon has been pretty pleasant. I did a little yard work to be outside and later sat at our picnic table and thought about bicycling. I calculated that my average miles per day for the month has actually risen beyond ten to eleven.

Anything that goes to eleven is, well, here let Nigel explain:

For non-Spinal Tap enthusiasts is the crowd, Nigel is portrayed by Christopher Guest, the real life holder of a Baronial peerage in England (he is the 5th Baron Haden-Guest) and he is also the husband of Jamie Lee Curtis.

This evening in France Nantes tied Metz 2-2 in a game at Nantes. The tie marks the first home game which Nantes has not won. As a result Nantes although remaining firmly second begins to slip away from first place Caen. Caen has not yet lost a game in 10 league contests.

Also, the drawing has been made for additional World Cup qualifying games for Team France. France finished second in its World Cup qualifying group and thereby failed to receive the automatic advance to the World Cup which went to the first place finisher in each of the nine European groups. By finishing second France is still alive for qualification but now must defeat another second place finisher, Ireland, in a home and home series to be played November 10 in Ireland and November 14 in France.

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Soybeans.

I like being retired, and all. Still, I miss the social aspect of work.

Jimi said...

Soybeans. Smallish ones.

They can be used in three bean salad.
TT

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the soybeans.

Hey, I have one of those keys laying around here somewhere...wonder if it would still work after 7 years or so??? Update...just compared my key to your key and the good news is, they are not the same, but the message imprinted is. Whewwww. Scary that I knew right where that was, or that I even still have it...if only the rest of my belongings in the house were as easy to locate. Here's hoping for more sunny days.
jilrubia

Unknown said...

Here's an insider nugget for Spinal Tap cocktail party banter: many of the old tweed Fender amps actually go to 12.