Thursday, October 8, 2009

Average revisited

The month of September featured day after day of temperatures 10 to 15 degrees above average. The month of October appears to be on the way to once again establishing why it is that average is called average. Yesterday was nearly average but today returned to the persistent pattern of temperatures 10 to 15 degrees BELOW average. It looks like the whole average high temperature is going to end up being "average". Temperatures that far below usual meant that it was pretty chilly today. As I prepare this post, it appears unlikely to ever reach 50.

I knew setting out on the cycling season that there would be at least a handful of days when I ride with temperatures in the 40s. I just didn't think they would be in the first part of October.

But as I have said before, I have the gear. Today I added the long sleeved base layer and the long sleeved heavyweight jersey. At those times when I was riding into the fairly brisk breeze it got a little chappy around my chin and neck but other than that it actually seemed pretty nice most of the time. Warm enough is good.

This tree at the corner of Asbury and Garden is displaying its complete autumn colorway.I got that picture while the sun was out, a situation which was not always true while I was riding. The sun kept ducking in and out. I rode to some places that I have never ridden before and at a couple of spots wanted to get a photo but decided to go for the photo some other time with more attractive lighting.

I had a social interaction with a mail carrier. I passed a youngish mail man in that part of Falcon Heights which is serviced by the traditional walk the route door to door mail service (over here in Roseville it is all done with a truck driving mail box to mail box). I, a pretty fully covered up cyclist, suggested to him that it was getting a bit nippy for his costume which featured shorts. He demurred, saying that there was still plenty of shorts weather left. He might be right, on the other hand he isn't creating his own 20mph windchill.

The wind was northwest so I edged off towards the west again towards seldom ridden streets. I got all the way over into New Brighton again but was already heading back when the sun made a cameo appearance. This occurred as I was riding past the intersection of the two main interstate highways closest to where I live. I stopped to get a picture but wasn't fast enough. The sun went back behind the clouds before I could fumble the gear out of my gear. I took the picture anyway. It looks to me like the heart of the monster.I tried a new crossing of Snelling at the spot where Old Trunk Highway 10 intersects Snelling from the northwest side to continue on as Hamline on the Roseville side. There's pretty heavy 60 mph traffic at that spot but I found a gap and got across fairly easily. Once on Hamline I reentered familiar territory. I have tried for two or three years to get a photo of this line of bushes near that intersection at a time when the color was bright. I don't think I've ever got it right before but today the sun reappeared as I rode past so I decided to give it another go.Just as with the previous photo though, the sun started to duck behind the clouds. I had to wait for it a bit and eventually the sun cooperated.

Today I raised my average miles ridden per day for the month up to 10. I should be able to hold that and 300 would be a respectable enough month of October. I started out hoping for more and will still be looking for more. But getting the average up to double figures after the dismal start to the month was good for my spirits on a day too cold and not sunny enough. It was a good day for a ride.

2 comments:

Santini said...

The tree at Asbury and Garden should be commended for its choice of colorway. Nice fall foliage tour. It's fun to see the colors change in MN from my rocking chair in MI. Gotta love the blogs.

Unknown said...

Excellent comments on average temperature. You have probably heard my rant about local meteorologists and their use of the word "normal," when what they are referring to is really a statistical mean - over a very short length of time from a geological perspective. In our climate it isn't unusual (more than once in 10 years) for a high or low to be 20-30 degrees or more off the mean. That's "normal." End rant.