Sunday, April 26, 2020

Two blocks in the rain

It seemed very, very nice when I stepped outside to pick up the Sunday newspaper this morning.  It was sunny and calm, already warm on a day that eventually reached nearly 70,

After lunch I checked my favorite radar weather site and the nearest radar images appeared to be still a couple of hours away.  The newspaper said 30 percent chance of rain but my supposition, based on the radar, was that the 30 percent was for a bit later on.  So I got on quite a bit less gear than I have been putting on and headed out to ride my bicycle.

And it WAS nice.  It seems a bit early for this but the tulip yard in the neighborhood is already starting up.
The weather site said light winds NNE.  My plan was to head out an appropriate distance to the north and turn around, bringing the strong leg of the ride at the end of the ride.

Almost immediately after leaving the tulip yard I noticed that the wind was most assuredly not from the NE.  When I turned to ride east to get to Snelling for the big crossing I discovered a more than tiny bit of a tail wind.  Soon enough I identified the primary wind direction as SW, only about 180 degrees from what the internet said.

I was looking for the big flag just across Snelling that I often use to confirm wind direction.  I was riding south just after the crossing towards the flag and I got a good look at the southern sky.  The very dark conditions there led me to further observe the sky to the west.

I pretty much immediately re-crossed Snelling and spent a half hour or so riding loops in the very near by neighborhoods staying very close to home.

On the first loop I became aware of the odor of wet dirt.  The rain was near.

I was out riding so I wanted to get at least a few miles in so I persevered.  I was two blocks from home when the rain began.

So, eight miles, better than none, I guess.

It didn't rain really hard and it didn't rain really long.  But it did rain long enough to rule out re-cycling.  Eight miles it is then, the last two blocks of which were in the rain.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I have done that same thing. And 8 miles is 8 miles. It all adds up.

TOPWLH said...

I have been walking past that tulip yard almost every day for a couple weeks, watching for tulips to appear. I should have walked that way today, obviously. Nice picture and it surprised me.