Monday, April 27, 2020

Mister Rogers

It rained overnight but by mid-morning we had a beautiful day underway.  The weather prediction is for the rain to return tomorrow, perhaps with a vengeance.  I had not previously this year attempted rides on back to back days but with yesterday's ride being abbreviated it just seemed like today was too nice a day to pass up.

Many will know that my practice for many years that all of my bicycle rides are of an exactly even mileage.  I know the distances from lots and lots of nearby landmarks to my garage door and with the assistance of the occasional ride around the block or a couple times around the cul-de-sac I always end up exactly to the mile.  Unless it is raining on the way home.

So I reported 8 miles yesterday but it was actually just a sliver under 8.  So today the first thing I had to do was ride that sliver.  After that I rode what has become the standard distance for so far this year.  With sliver added to standard distance I ended up with the longest ride of the year.  By just a sliver.

We have a FB friend who has been posting pictures from HIS morning rides and inviting his public to guess where the pictures were taken.  He used to live on our block and despite having moved is still living within a couple of miles of us.  It is early in the year, his rides are currently shortish.  I have ridden nearly every bit of pavement within 12 miles of my house.  I have been recognizing without difficulty many of his photos.  Yesterday he stumped me.  More on that in just a moment.

One thing he posted recently was an inside joke of our house.  We knew that one.  But as a tribute I post a photo of the house of other friends, the link being the presence in their front yard of a magnificent white pine, the State Tree of Michigan.
There is another link, that house is kitty corner across the street from this distinguished bit of construction.
That is the front portico of Como Park ELEMENTARY School.

I should have recognized it but did not.

I was on the far side of the lake and rode along the closed road on the way home.  I got much closer to the pavilion than the other photos I have posted.
People were not practicing appropriate social distancing.  I did not linger

I got almost home intending no further photography but this shouted out to me.
I pulled off the street into the parking lot of the Petkoff agency to take the picture and as a result passed the first milestone of the year, 100 miles this year, in that parking lot instead of in the street.  Also, of course, the first occurrence of at least 70 degrees F this spring in Roseville.

As Mister Rogers might have said, " It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood."

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Nice ride report, nice temperature. We have a bit more green than you do. I don’t really have a standard number of miles, it’s more like I can’t ride further than about 11 miles right now. I am fine with odd numbers.

TOPWLH said...

Well-written, entertaining post. It WAS a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

YES IT WAS P

Emily M said...

We also took a bike ride as a family yesterday. No pictures, because we were having too much fun.