Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Strong in one direction

Any day when you can ride your bike is a good day, I suppose.  But today really wasn't.  It was not as warm as I like but I have the gear.  The problem today was the wind.

It was a quite strong mostly west wind.  I took an initial spin around a nearby block.  One block in each of the four directions is a good way to gauge direction and velocity.  I headed west.

West is problematic in certain conditions.  It is all downhill, which is, of course, fine while you are going that direction.  The coming back is the problem.

Well, today the wind was strong enough that on the way back I was in the big ring and steaming uphill at 15+ miles per hour.

So it was a strong wind.

I took a water break at Stout's.
After that I circled around trying to get home.

This is the state of the local bicycle economy.  Eric's is a chain, 7 or 8 or maybe 9 local stores.
They are quasi-open, accepting curbside drop off and pick up.

Leave your bike, call the shop and speak to the mechanic about your problem.

Oh, well, actually that probably works just fine.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I need new tires, 3300 miles, but the only maintenance allowed on bikes is for essential people. Some of this is just stupid.

Glad you got out on your bike, and didn’t let the wind discourage you.

TOPWLH said...

I noticed the wind out on my walk, too, but not much of a problem when walking. Sort of elemental and fun. Nice to kind of see Stout's again.