Monday, April 20, 2020

Gap in the clouds

Earlier today I heard Gloria Vanderbilt's son Anderson report on cable TV that today's closing price for oil was a negative $38 per barrel.

I am pretty much without a clue on crude oil pricing but I am pretty good at arithmetic.  This looks to me like if you drill up some crude you have to pay somebody $38 per barrel to haul it away.

This is NOT going to be good.

I also read in the newspaper that in several states, including Michigan and Wisconsin, gasoline is selling at some outlets for less than $1 per gallon,

I snuck in a bicycle ride today during a gap in the clouds.  It looks really nice in this photo but I arrived home just as the rain began.  But as I say, I did arrive home just as that occurred.

Anyway, the price of gas at a station just over a mile from home.
That's about a dollar less than the last time I personally purchased any gas but then again I don't purchase gas very often any more.

5 comments:

Emily M said...

Gas was last that cheap the summer I first became a licensed driver. Wow.

Granted, I haven't bought any gas for at least a month now.

Retired Professor said...

This is not good news for any of us -- I haven't seen anything below $1 a gallon, but then I haven't been near a gas station, either. Which is why this is happening. That's why it's called the law of supply and demand, law being the operative word.

Good timing on the bike ride/rain.

Gino said...

I still have a Twin Cities Gas Prices site bookmarked on my desktop computer.

Costco in Burmsville: 1.09
9 other stations (Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) all south metro: 1.14

A search by zip code shows 1.79 about average for this side of the metro.

TOPWLH said...

Way to go! I loved how you got up the driveway just in the nick of time. Good to see biking blogs in April.

Retired Professor said...

Gas was $1.34 at Family Fare this morning.