Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Change in the weather

It is a subtle process, this changing air mass thing.  But the results will definitely be felt.

We have had a prevailing north wind (mostly west actually) for the past week or so.  Today the wind moved around to the south (still mostly west actually).  The difference is that winds from  the north bring us an air mass that yesterday was in Winnipeg.  Winds from the south bring us an air mass that yesterday was in Saint Louis.

Think about it.  In August would you rather be in Winnipeg or in Saint Louis.  August in Winnipeg is cool and dry,  August in Saint Louis is hot and humid.

I vote Winnipeg.

So today I was riding in Winnipeg air but just after the wind direction had changed to begin the introduction of Saint Louis air.  The air replacement is only just beginning but the wind was unmistakably from the south.  This means today's ride was NOT to the northern lakes.  Today I headed out towards the big city to our south.

This  allows for a continuation of the ongoing series.
That one didn't come out very well.  I was looking to avoid the harsh lighting of trying to photograph into the sun but probably went too far into the shade.  Cheap camera, auto focus and auto exposure?  You get what you get.

For some reason the crowd at the Falls today was the smallest I have observed in the last several visits.  The Falls pays no attention to the size of the crowd and today was putting on yet another great show.  The size of the crowd meant I was able to get up front easily for the photo.
When I announced that the southern routes were pretty much closed off I thought I heard a call for the farm campus route and a possible photo of the cows.
Today was really quite pleasant.  All indications are that tomorrow will be 90 and humid.  This means that today just may have been the last ride in Minnesota for a while.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Santini said...

I believe the correct response is "Cows."

The falls are nice any and all times of the year.

A and T spend some time discussing your series when they were here. Something about getting near the Bridgeman's where B used to work -- that just closed, apparently.

The forecast high for Grand Rapids on Saturday and Sunday is 90. Followed by a moderating trend of cooler dryer air.

BDE said...

Cows!!
Santini, I like your last sentence. Looking forward to the visit.

Emily M said...

Cows! I do love them. One of my favorite pieces of local sculpture.